Insulating Attic Wall.

Old 11-26-19, 10:25 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Insulating Attic Wall.

Insulating Attic Wall. This wall is a small crawl space in the attic that faces a vaulted ceiling room (stained pine). Not allot of wall footage and only 2x4s in depth. First do I need to add vapor barrier? Rest of the attic was replaced with the pink one sided.
Second what would be the most efficient insulation? I was thinking R-12/15 comes in about 3-1/2 thk or is it really worth the effort to staple the R-19 (HD) which comes in at 5 1/4 to 61/4? the width is not very uniform so the standard 16oc really doesn't apply.
Any feed back will help. thx

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-19, 10:43 AM
Received 141 Votes on 131 Posts
The paper is your vapor retarder, that is what you want, not a vapor barrier and it needs to face the warm room.

I gather your doing this from the back side so you may need some strapping to hold the material in place!

R15 is ok, you could do R19 but what was the rest of the room done with?

Old 11-26-19, 05:13 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Its a 50 year old house. It was done with an older insulation, paper on both sides? and very flat.( not sure if its asbestos? I really don't think so! ) I was able to upgrade the master bedroom ceiling, I have half the kitchen ceiling , another bedroom and a bathroom left on upgrading insulation under roof.
OK I kind of figured I would need some kind of strapping, (or perhaps the rigid wires that are utilized in the garage ceiling may work) I just happen to have some lying around. For the section of wall against the Vaulted LR. Now the vaulted ceiling rafters also has that very thin double papered insulation. Now that the roof was done this past fall, I plan to take the finished pine boards off from the inside and replace the old stuff with Roxul 5-1/2 thk by 15.5 wide for 16 O.C. I found an outlet near me that has the exact depth I need to allow room for venting overhead ( 8"} rafters. I really like Roxul. I have used it on the lower portion of the house and works well and has a much better rating than fiberglass.
THX Marq1