question about cape cod second floor

Old 12-06-19, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
question about cape cod second floor

I am remodeling our cape. we have a huge addition on the back of the cap but i would like to add a fourth bedroom upstairs which is unused as a spare room. question is from floor to ceiling i only have 74 inches. can put a wall up to create a closed off bedroom. there is windows on both ends of the cape so the room will have a window as well as a heat also inside. is this allowed by code to do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-19, 12:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 305 Votes on 279 Posts
Nope. 7' (84") is the minimum allowed ceiling height.

Old 12-06-19, 01:33 PM
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
I agree with PD but will expand a bit on his comment. The 7' minimum height must be over at least 50% of the floor area, not the entire area, as could be the case with a pitched or sloping ceiling. So, of you have a 120 sqft. room (12X10), 60 sqft of floor area must be at least 7' high. If you have knee walls, let me know the dimensions and height of the knee walls and I'll figure it out for you.

Pilot Dane voted this post useful.
Old 12-07-19, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Knee wall

4 ft high knee walls to the angle starts

Old 12-07-19, 04:21 PM
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
Brian, I read your last post then went back to mine and realized it was woefully incomplete. Let me explain again how it works. The rule for sloped roofs (as is typical with many cape cods) is that 50% of the ceiling height must be 84" high

If a substantial portion of the ceiling isn't at least 84", case closed. If a substantial portion is at least 84" you must determine whether it is 50% or more. To do so: 1 Disregard any space where the ceiling height is less than 60" - from the 48" knee wall to the 60" height. 2 Measure the floor space where the ceiling is between 60" and 84". 3 Measure the floor space where the ceiling is at least 84". If 3 is equal or greater than 2, you're OK. If 2 is greater than 3, the ceiling height is insufficient.

I hope this helps.