Basement Moisture / Vinyl Tile

Old 02-08-20, 10:59 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement Moisture / Vinyl Tile

An orange crust has started bubbling up between (old) vinyl tiles covering the basement floor. When covered with an impermeable surface, like a plastic sheet, we can clearly see the moisture droplets. We have never had basement moisture before, and the location with the most of this crust bubbling up isn't even the lowest point of the basement - there are several places that are a step lower. It is the highest traffic area of the basement.

I'm wondering a few things - is the discoloration likely hazardous (asbestos in the backing of the tiles?) such that I shouldn't remove it myself (carefully, of course). Is there an easy way to get a sample tested (scraping off the crust and sending it somewhere)? Does a situation like this, with no obvious reason for moisture to be coming up in this particular section of the basement floor, suggest something about what might be causing it? We did get a new HE front loading washing machine, and I wondered if the increased vibration could be pushing water up, but the most crust isn't coming up immediately under the washing machine - it's a few feet away.

Thanks, in advance, for ideas about how to proceed

Attached Images    
Old 02-08-20, 11:44 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Most likely there is some moisture coming up thru the slab, which you have confirmed, and it's pushing the adhesive used for the tiles with it.

Old 02-09-20, 04:43 AM
M
Received 295 Upvotes on 265 Posts
I do not think it will be asbestos even if there is asbestos in the tiles as it contained in the tile itself.
If worried just make sure to keep the stuff wet when removing it.
It is asbestos dust/fibers that you breath in that is dangerous.

You said these tiles were old so this could be an indication of a problem.
Also may just be that you have had a very wet year.

Old 02-10-20, 01:05 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
RE: Basement Moisture / Vinyl TIle

Thanks for the responses. I was actually able to locate the manufacturer and SKU from an old box in the garage, with which I found materials info and product specs online (thanks, internet!). No asbestos in the tiles (good).

Any ideas about how to stop moisture coming up through the slab, given that the moist patch seems to be right in the middle of the basement floor? It would be impossible to get underneath and protect from the outside, and I haven't used moisture barriers from the inside (i.e. on the concrete foundation floor, then putting tile or other new floor on top. My instinct is *not* to trap moisture above the slab, even if below new flooring

Thanks again

Old 02-10-20, 04:11 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Any ideas about how to stop moisture coming up through the slab
You cant stop it, your only option is to control it with a dehumidifier, will that prevent the ooze from pushing up depends a lot on the amount of ground water and the pressure it exerts.

Do you have sump system?

Old 02-10-20, 05:51 PM
M
Received 295 Upvotes on 265 Posts
OK so if I understand what is going on this is just in one area in the middle of the basement floor.

Is it possible that there is a water line or sewage line running under the slab in this area?

It would be a good idea to remove a couple tiles in the worst area so you can see exactly what is happening.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: