Framing Attic Space

Old 02-18-20, 06:37 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Framing Attic Space

My fiance is framing the attic (very small space) and I insisted he check in here for advice! Here is the question: "Can anyone tell me the easiest way to put plywood on the back of this frame? I'm turning this attic into a closet space." Any ideas or suggestions welcome! Thank you!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-20, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 341 Votes on 313 Posts
The easiest way to put plywood on the back of the wall would be to build the wall out in the open, put the plywood on the back of the framing, then slide the entire wall section into place and nail the framing to the rafters and floor joists.

But it also wouldn't be too hard to slide the plywood behind and nail it to the back of the wall. But having something on the floor to kneel on would be needed.

Old 02-18-20, 06:54 PM
S
XSleeper, he says thank you and that's what he was thinking but just wanted to make sure. He actually put up temporary screws to lay the frame down so he could put the plywood on the back.

Old 02-19-20, 01:27 AM
Received 193 Votes on 180 Posts
So then the question, why?

If that is going to be an insulated wall then insulation and drywall would be installed from the inside, plywood is not really needed!

Old 02-19-20, 04:11 AM
S
Marq1 he said he's putting the plywood in to hold the insulation in...he's also going to staple the insulation.

Old 02-19-20, 04:19 AM
Received 193 Votes on 180 Posts
And that is fine and not going to be a problem, knee walls are very common, and typ have nothing on the back side, just an option to make the job go faster!

Old 02-19-20, 04:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 329 Posts
Since this is an attic I would use considerably more insulation than can fit inside a 2x4 cavity. I would get fiberglass batts with a vapor barrier. The higher the R value the better and install it from the front. The facing material has tabs that fold out to be stapled to the studs and will hold the insulation in place with nothing required on the back side. Then put sheetrock on the room side face of the wall. This will give you much more R value and save the work and money of a plywood back that's not needed.

Old 02-19-20, 04:22 AM
S
Thank you so much for all your help!

Old 02-19-20, 04:28 AM
S
Pilot Dane, he was not familiar with fiberglass batts - thank you!!