Attic ventilation

Old 03-02-20, 01:52 PM
C
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Attic ventilation

My new roof has a ridge vent and soffit vents at the eaves. Before the fire the house also had gable end vents.
My question is - do I really need the gable end vents? The attic never had a moisture problem before the fire with the gable end vents, a ridge vent and no soffit vents.

Is there a rule of thumb for calculating attic ventilation needs? I reallllly do not want gable vents after watching flames leap across 24' into a gable vent and blowing through my attic like a wind tunnel.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-20, 01:59 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 64 Posts
Yes, there are guidelines:
https://www.gaf.com/en-us/for-profes...ion-calculator
That said, you should be able to meet the needs with soffit and ridge vent as long as you don't have a hip roof.

Old 03-02-20, 04:03 PM
C
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Thanks,

It looks like the ridge vent and soffit vents are more than adequate. Goodbye gable vents!

Old 03-08-20, 07:45 AM
B
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
Gable vents are not the evil feature many roofing companies still claim, but wind driven issues as you mention are a good reason to eliminate them even if a repeat is unlikely.

Ridge and soffit are more than adequate. Note, the guidelines for vent area were adopted pre WWII with no testing or data. Fortunately they seem to work but they are a case of "close is good enough".

Bud