How can I walk around in the attic?

Old 05-17-20, 04:00 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How can I walk around in the attic?

I went up in the attic a couple years ago for the first time ever, and there was insulation covering everything. I could not see any wood on the floor at all, so I did not try to walk around at all.

I need to go up there again, and am wondering how I can safely walk around if I cannot see any trusses or joists or whatever you call the things that you can safely step on. I don't want to fall and crash thru the floor.

I know it's possible to walk around up there, because in the past I had a roof inspector go up there, and also a Comcast guy went up to run some coax cable. I just don't know how they did it.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-20, 05:11 PM
Received 237 Votes on 224 Posts
Hate to say iot but nothing scientific, just have to feel around to find footing!

Old 05-17-20, 05:51 PM
Received 169 Votes on 154 Posts
Vary carefully.

Bring a couple of 48" to 50" long x 8" wide boards up there. 4 pieces would be good but you can get away with three. Spread the insulation away so you can see the joist. You space them across the joist and as you move along place the extra one in front of you. If you need to do any extensive work, a piece of ply wood is very comforting.
BTW you don't want to walk, you want to crawl on knees.

Old 05-21-20, 06:27 AM
Received 36 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi, is it a Truss roof, if so your joists will line up with the trusses, I would go up through the hatch and while on a ladder move some of the insulation around so that you can get an idea of the joist spacing.
Geo

sldiy voted this post useful.
Old 05-21-20, 02:43 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 21 Posts
All good info given so far. I'll add that the ceiling joists are likely on 16" centers. Depending on when & how it was built, its possible that they are on 24" centers. So, as noted above, just feel your way as you go along & look for a joist ever 16 inches.... possibly every 24 inches. Hopefully, that'll help you kinda know how its laid out & where to look/feel around. Step lightly until you know you're on a sturdy board/footing.