Another attic flooring question

Old 06-06-20, 05:26 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another attic flooring question

Good day,

I'm looking for advice or recommendations to put some flooring in my condo attic.
The joist (?) are 2x6's at 24" OC.
There is bat insulation.
The opening is 21"x31"

It does get hot here in So Cal. So in the future I am planning on adding an attic vent fan.
There is an electrical line that runs here in the attic to a plug in the bed room connected to a light switch
There is also a vertical roof pipe vent (not pictured)

With the 24" OC joist, I don't think just adding plywood or osb in 2'x8' or 2'x4' sheets would be wise....
Also, I think plywood or osb for flooring sold around me comes in 5/8 thickness, so to use one sheet, or overlapping two sheets?

Other wild ideas I had was using decking material, or to add 2x4 framing at 16"OC at 90 degrees to the joist and put the flooring on that (but that seems a bit overkill for basic storage.)

For reference to what I'm working with, I've attached two images of the attic as taken from the opening, and a render of the basic layout.

Thank you for any thoughts, advice and recommendations

Attached Images    
Old 06-06-20, 05:33 PM
Received 460 Votes on 429 Posts
If you would do some searing on the site, there are some similar recent discussions taking place.

Within limitations, like light weight items, no issues, see what was discussed then come back with questions!

Old 06-06-20, 08:57 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is "Light weight"?
~5/8" osb enough over 24" OC for loads probably more than "light weight"
No additional bracing, blocking, or bridging that i should add between the joist?

when i place flooring just put it in a grid pattern, or do i alternate the seams going across (or length wise) with the joist.

I added pictures since the other didn't really show the intended area to walk or place stuff.

Old 06-06-20, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
Rather than trying to get plywood up there, you might consider using tongue and groove 1x4 flooring. Might be easier to maneuver up there. And I would imagine that very much walking around up there would crack your ceiling. 2x6 on 24" centers is adequate for a ceiling but not for a floor.

SaintJ321 voted this post useful.
Old 06-07-20, 04:36 AM
Received 460 Votes on 429 Posts
What is "Light weight"?
Light weight like in that box of Halloween decorations, maybe the Christmas tree, no engine blocks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: