Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Noise control in basement ceiling with recessed lighting. Advice wanted!

Old 07-13-20, 02:46 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey all! Iím finishing a large basement under a ranch and have framed, wired, and plumbed 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, an office, and a big open living room with a bar off it. Being a DIYíer Iíve made MANY missteps along the way, one of them being I just now started thinking about noise control. Both bedrooms downstairs will be occupied, so while Iím not looking for professional soundproofing, Iíd like to not hear every footstep from above or disturb everyone upstairs while singing in the shower or yelling at a stupid referee on TVÖ If we ever have live sports again 🙂

Anyway, my research tells me that using isolation clips and channels with double drywall & green glue is the best plan for the ceiling, but Iím just now discovering that any sound isolation I might have achieved via that plan would be pretty much defeated by the many 6″ new construction cans I already installed between the joists (with the hangers) and wired. Am I totally up a creek here? How bad would transmission be between floors because of that? Am I right that it would kill my somewhat expensive plan to abate noise?

Iíve got some slack in the wire at every can, so I could unwire and reposition them if thereís a creative solution. One thing I thought about was using wood strapping instead of channel and suspending the lights from that rather than the joists. Maybe some GG where each piece of 1◊3 meets the joists for some separation? Then perhaps putty pads (I think thatís the term) on the back of the can lights? Iím definitely not afraid of a little hard work (Iíve had to redo many parts of this project!), but Iíd rather not completely scrap all these NC cans if possible. Thereís a lot of them!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-20, 03:17 PM
Received 320 Votes on 300 Posts
When I did my basement a few years ago I looked into many options, ended up going with Soft Touch R19 insulation between the floors (with 30+ cans).

It;s got some of the highest noise reduction values for insulation.

Very pleased with the results!

Nick Abel voted this post useful.
Old 07-13-20, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 175 Votes on 157 Posts
Using batt insulation is pretty standard for sound attenuation in commercial spaces. Just be sure to check if your cans are rated for direct contact with insulation. They will say so on the label or have IC in the model number.

Old 07-14-20, 05:13 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks to you both for the replies! Good to hear the cans shouldn't completely ruin any plans I have. I'd read in a couple places that they pretty much defeat all your hard work by opening up a space for air/sound to travel and also by being connected to the joists and then transmitting those low frequency sounds. I'm probably overthinking it though. My cans are airtight and IC, so I'll probably just insulate around them and continue with my plan to use RC. Thanks again, and anybody else with an opinion would be appreciated!

Old 07-14-20, 08:16 AM
Received 320 Votes on 300 Posts
transmitting those low frequency sounds
I was going to mention that, normal ambient noise is easy to knock down, but deep base, it just vibrates through the entire house so not much is going to resolve that!