Unfinished Basement Help

Old 07-30-20, 04:10 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unfinished Basement Help

My husband and I purchased a home with an unfinished basement and the previous home owner had done some DIY down there but from we seen while researching, the guy did some questionable things. We started pulling the paper down from the ceiling and found holes where we could see light coming in from outside, etc.

Wall is already framed but thereís concrete at the bottom so previous homeowner added another wall. What would be the best way to go about the concrete at the bottom of the wall? Itís about a foot and half high.

This vent isnít connected to anything. This isnít right, right? Lol. But they had it insulated and had the vapor barrier and fire paper already stapled up. We ripped it down.

This is how the previous homeowner had it before we ripped it down. They had plastic sheeting places against the concrete walls.

Any suggestions? We are thinking we will do closed cell foam against the concrete and then put the walls up, then seal with the closed cell foam spray. And pull the pink insulation down from the ceiling and do all spray foam then put the fire paper back up. And then epoxy the floor to seal the concrete and then lay linoleum that looks like wood over the whole floor to keep down costs.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-20, 04:54 AM
Received 320 Votes on 300 Posts
Plastic against basement walls is old school and can lead to moisture issues.

I see nothing with the insulation in the ceiling, you dont need it within a conditioned space but it was probably installed for noise which fiberglass is not the greatest for and not sure what that silver film is about!

You state can see light, what is that about?

Old 07-31-20, 06:31 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
@marq1 We pulled down a couple pieces of the fiberglass insulation and could see light coming through at the ceiling against an exterior wall. So I know we need to seal those holes.

My husband says the silver film is a fire retardant. Do you have any suggestions for the wall with the window that I have pictured? The wall has been put up by the original builder but thereís concrete at the bottom of the wall that comes about 1 foot up. The previous homeowner put up another wall against the first wall to wall in the small concrete area, but then the window sill will be really deep and weíd have a double wall lol.

Old 07-31-20, 11:26 PM
Received 320 Votes on 300 Posts
That is how you would frame it!