Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Shimming between floor joist and perimeter concrete foundation

Old 08-01-20, 01:49 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello, 2 years ago I hired a foundation repair company to pile under my front concrete foundation wall after my house started to sink forward. The house has not moved since. My house is small and has a single support 2x10 wood beam running across the middle of my house parallel with the front and back walls. Floor joists span between, and sit on top of the main beam located in the middle of the house and perimeter concrete foundation wall. I purchased a laser level and discovered the back half is level, however the front wall sunk 3 inches in one corner and 1.5 inches in the other. Basically my house looking outside at the front is a bit crooked and slopes forward as well starting from the middle (and primary support beam). As a result, you can feel the downward slope when you walk from the middle of my house towards the front wall.

To level the floor, I was thinking I would build a temporary support beam a foot off the front wall lifting the joists from the basement and shimming underneath the joists. The joists sit directly on the foundation wall and have concrete poured between them as well. As you can see from the attached picture, the joists should slide up nicely in the slots created by the concrete.

Is my method appropriate? Any questions, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-20, 02:13 PM
Received 320 Votes on 300 Posts
So is this the way the company left the job or has the settling happened since?

Old 08-01-20, 02:50 PM
A
I only hired the foundation company to pile the portion of the house that was sinking. They were the ones who suggested lifting from within and shimming under the joists as a possible leveling option.

Old 08-01-20, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
Generally you have a sill plate that lays flat on the footing. The joists sit on top of and are nailed to that plate, then they are capped by a rim joist on the outside. This method of construction is standard and explains why there is an indentation in the concrete 1 1/2" below the bottom of your joists. So if that is the way your place was built, jacking the joists and the beam would not move anything, since the plate wont just lift up.

Leveling a house generally needs to be done by house movers who have multiple hydraulic jacks to raise the house by jacking up iron beams. They need to insert those iron beams (which in some cases end up being permanent) by making holes in the exterior foundation walls. The beams need columns that sit on footings (which you also dont have yet) and when the house is raised and leveled, it then is supported by the iron beams while the perimeter of the house foundation is underpinned.

Old 08-01-20, 03:28 PM
A
Thanks but there's no sill plate. There is actually some very small gaps underneath a couple of the joists where I can see daylight and there's nothing between the joist and the foundation wall it sits on. Also I opened up the outside wall to expose one of the corners and the joists are simply molded into the concrete foundation. It appears they built the perimeter foundation wall, then sat the joists on top, and then filled in between the joists with more concrete afterwards to secure them. PS my house was built in 1972.