Repairing basement concrete holes

Old 08-12-20, 11:06 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing basement concrete holes

I bought a house at the end of May, and we recently had asbestos tiles removed from the basement. Now bare concrete is exposed and I'd like to put a subfloor for insulation and vinyl planks for new flooring. The issue is that a previous owner has removed some walls which were secured to the concrete floor with concrete nails or screws, and this has left a number of large divots in the concrete slab.

Bare concrete floor with divots

I'd like to repair these holes before putting a subfloor down. How do I do this properly? I bought some Vinyl Concrete patcher, and I'm wondering if that will be appropriate here. Since I will probably secure the subfloor to the concrete slab with concrete screws, any patcher I put on top should resist being drilled through as well. I don't want the patches to come up when putting the screws in. I'll also epoxy the basement before putting the subfloor in.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-20, 11:50 AM
Received 347 Votes on 323 Posts
any patcher I put on top should resist being drilled through
Anything you put down, if drilled in the right/wrong spot will have the possibility of poping out.

My first thought was a latex fortified mortar, that's what they patched the holes in my walkway whey they did a foam lift and it's held up for years, not sure how the vinyl patch compares!

Old 08-12-20, 01:24 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 586 Votes on 540 Posts
Since you say you are building a subfloor and insulating I would just leave the holes. You are covering them after all.

Old 08-12-20, 04:11 PM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
Has there ever been any moisture issues in this basement?
I get scared when I hear someone suggesting a "sub floor" in a basement.

Old 08-12-20, 05:17 PM
M
Received 155 Votes on 142 Posts
You may want to look into Dricore.

Old 08-12-20, 08:22 PM
K
Has there ever been any moisture issues in this basement?
Yes, we had some water leak in from a storm which destroyed the existing carpet. This is causing us to get an interior drain put in along the perimeter of the foundation. In addition to this, we're getting a moisture barrier as well tied into this drain system. Hopefully the combination will trounce our moisture problems for good.

I wanted to put a subfloor in because when I saw the house in the winter when we were shopping, the carpet they had was very cold. If you have a better way to put good insulation down under a vinyl plank floor I'm all ears. I was thinking of doing a DMX 1-step layer on the slab, then 5/8 in OSB over top. Then the vinyl planks.

Last edited by krafczyk; 08-12-20 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Added quote
Old 08-12-20, 08:26 PM
K
I would just leave the holes.
I've considered not patching them, but I worried I wouldn't be able to get all the screws sunk into the slab equally. Is it a problem if some screws are burried 3/4 in while others are 1/2 in?

Last edited by krafczyk; 08-12-20 at 08:28 PM. Reason: a
Old 08-12-20, 08:29 PM
K
Anything you put down, if drilled in the right/wrong spot will have the possibility of poping out.
Yes, I figured, however I'm trying to minimize this possibility, or find alternatives.