Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Need replacement motor for old Clark United whole house fan

Old 08-18-20, 12:26 PM
V
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 30 year old Clark United Whole house fan and the motor is knocking. There seems to be excessive play in the shaft and I would like to replace the motor. The fan was already installed when I bought the house so I know little about it. There is no markings on the motor itself other than to say it's General Electric. I'm looking for a place that might understand Clark United items and can recommend a replacement. I have attached a photo of all the info that's on the fan. Thanks

Old 08-18-20, 03:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Is your fan single or multiple speeds?

You know the voltage and amperage of the old motor so with that you can pick an appropriate horsepower. Next, measure the length & diameter of the motors' shaft that is protruding. Also pay attention to how the motor is mounted and the direction it rotates (some motor's direction is reversible but some are not). With all that into you can pick a replacement.

Old 08-18-20, 04:57 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
There should be a plate right on the motor itself that should have all the info you need to find a replacement.

Old 08-18-20, 06:35 PM
V
It is a two speed. And there isn't anything on the motor. No plate and no info stamped into the body of the motor. Very strange. One question: when you look at the fan from below it is rotating counter clockwise. From the top, clockwise. Which way do I look for the proper rotation? It's located in the ceiling in the hallway.

Also, to my original question. Any thoughts on a good place to find a replacement motor? Thanks for the responses.

Old 08-18-20, 09:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
Looking at the shaft from the shaft end of the motor.......
if it rotates to the right, your motor is clockwise or CWSE.
If it rotates to the left, your motor is counterclockwise or CCWSE

It's hard to replace a motor knowing so little about it. A typical 30" fan would use a 1/3hp motor. You might be able to use a 1/4hp motor but that would be stretching it. In the link below is four attic fan motors. My choice would be the second motor shown..... Dayton 3K386 for two speed or the third motor if two speed is not important.... Dayton 3K384 single speed. These Dayton motors are reversible so direction can be changed in wiring. You can shop around using the Dayton part numbers. Depending on where it comes from shipping can be an issue. Dayton motors can be found at Graingers for local pickup but I believe you need to have an account with them.
Electric motor warehouse

Old 08-19-20, 05:42 AM
B
Received 225 Likes on 199 Posts
If the "excessive movement" in the motor is lateral movement of the rotor, you can try removing the rotor and adding shims to the shaft to reduce the lateral movement. If the bearings are worn allowing the shaft to wobble in the bearing, you can replace the bearings. If these repairs are beyond your comfort level, a motor repair shop can help or you can pursue a replacement motor. Good luck.

Old 08-19-20, 12:23 PM
V
Thanks for all the responses. I will let you know how I proceed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: