Painting basement walls, epoxying floor?

Old 08-29-20, 02:59 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting basement walls, epoxying floor?

I'd like to dress up my basement. I have a workshop down there currently, but I'd like to make a little gym in one section. There aren't any water issues -- at least not since I fixed the grading around the house. Water used to pool next to the house, like a coi pond. But now even during a heavy rain the walls stay bone dry.

If I'm going to have a gym, I'd like to reduce the concrete dust. Also, I had a radon mitigation system installed, which did the trick. But I wouldn't mind improving the atmosphere a bit more. So, I'm thinking of using this stuff: https://www.radonseal.com/radonseal-mitigation.htm It's supposed to stop dusting, strengthen the concrete, and of course block radon. After that I thought I'd paint.

Is this a good idea?

Currently there is a coat of some kind of stucco paint that was sprayed on. It's chipping in spots and attracts dust and webs. There are some normal cracks. Most have been repaired in varying ways. I'd like to clean those up, as well as some of the form hole patches.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-20, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I used the Radon seal product shortly after my house was build and ahead of finishing out the basement. That was 15 years ago. I have never had a Radon test completed so no info on that front. The product that I used also was said to penetrate the concrete and make it much harder / some chemical reaction that binds with the cement used in the concrete.

I am not a chemist or have any special knowledge of that. But I can say that I subsequently had to break through the basement floor about a year after using the product. I did this with my original homebuilder / contractor assisting me. His comments were that it was the most difficult (hardest) concrete he has ever had to break thru. He said he has had to break into other basements that he has installed and never had as hard of a time as my basement / concrete. Not scientific by any means, but it was damm hard concrete and only about 24 months after the original pour.

I used it on all of the walls & floor. Most is now covered either enclosed behind the drywall or carpeted over. But the few spots I have open (shop & storage areas) do not give off any dust. Hope this helps.