Adding storage space above my garage ceiling.

Old 09-21-20, 06:50 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding storage space above my garage ceiling.

I want to add storage space above my garage ceiling. Currently, the ceiling is made out of 2x6 lumber, 16 OC, spanning 11-6", with drywall attached to it. Is the 11-6" span to great of a span to hold some light storage and a person crawling around to get boxes? There are two sections of the attic and in the middle is an lvl beam. On either side of the lvl is an 11-6" span of the joists. I was thinking of adding blocking, would anything else be recommended?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-20, 09:46 PM
Judging by the detail of your post, I doubt you are going to run into anything you can't handle. I would support the joists by "hanging" them from the rafters with something. You certainly can make some kind of "flooring" up there that would hold the weight of a person. Of course, that flooring can't be the existing drywall.

Old 09-22-20, 04:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 622 Votes on 575 Posts
You really need to look at the whole structure since you have an LVL supporting one end of your joists. Look online at the span tables for the LVL and that will give you an idea if you are close to the limit.

Old 09-25-20, 11:15 AM
B
Okay thanks everyone for your feedback!

Old 09-25-20, 01:19 PM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
We get these questions about every other month, If your storing the Mrs Xmass/Easter/Halloween decorations and not putting a bunch of small block engines up there you have nothing to worry, no roof is ever engineered that close to it's structural limits!