Need advice on unfinished storage area mess

Old 11-21-20, 12:41 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need advice on unfinished storage area mess

I've never dealt with a mess like this before. My house, which was built in 1977, has an unheated attic-type room that runs front to back. The front half has plywood flooring and lighting and has been used as a storage area by previous owners. The back half is a mess as you can see in the pictures.

There are pieces of plywood on part of the floor but most of it's not nailed down. There's quite a bit of loose insulation. I've bought several pieces of plywood to cover the area that has none.

1. Do I need stuff like a respirator, goggles, and disposable coveralls to work with insulation?

2. The yellow insulation looks like it was the cheapest available when the house was built. Should I replace it?

3. Should I rent a nail gun for the plywood? Or does it make more sense to buy one and sell it when I finish? It may take weeks because I'm 71 and a lot slower than I used to be.

Any other advice as to what to do with this mess would be very welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-20, 02:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,180 Votes on 1,093 Posts
At the very least you need to insult the inside walls.

You MUST wear a mask when handling fiberglass. When working with fiberglass insulation.... the dust carries glass particles that can lodge permanently in your lungs. Not good. Good fitting mask is ok.... respirator not needed. Gloves are usually a plus as well as long sleeves.

Do you plan to use the attic for storage ?
If you aren't..... more insulation will save you money.