Cold Room

Old 12-01-20, 09:43 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cold Room

Hello all,

I am looking to get some advice on my current situation with my cold room.
I am currently converting the cold room to a grow room. This is only about 80 sq ft. And located directly below my front porch. I have condensation coming from somewhere or I have a leak somewhere?
I have both an exhaust and floor vent. I've tried a dehumidifier but I still see condensation. As you can tell I've done whatever I could use to rectify the situation. I know spray foam would be my best bet but financially it's not possible right now.
Thanks in advance!

Old 12-02-20, 02:27 AM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
So it's not really clear what your asking for?

Old 12-02-20, 04:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
Look on the exterior to see if your pad overhangs your foundation walls. If there is a crack underneath where the two meet, you might need to caulk it with a concrete expansion joint sealant such as NP1.

As for finishing that room,, try looking for ideas in this similar thread: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/f...safe-room.html.

At a minimum, you would want to insulate and air seal the ceiling because it will always be cold and the warm humid basement air will want to condense on any cold surface. So you would insulate the ceiling and foam the edges, and tape any seams.

Old 12-02-20, 05:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
Since I can see drops in many areas of the ceiling I assume it's condensation you are seeing. I think your only option is to insulate the room and add a very good vapor barrier since you will be using it for growing.

80 square feet is a pretty small room. Consider how much you will be growing in there and design an appropriate system to make it work. Don't forget that you will need fresh air to insure that the plants have a good supply of CO2. In summer you can use a lot of ventilation to control humidity but in winter you will need to run a dehumidifier as most of the water you put on your plants will have to be removed mechanically.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: