Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Question on flooring / framing Roughed in Basement

Old 01-14-21, 07:06 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I'm about to start working on my walkout basement. Our basement has concrete walls for portions of the exterior, with the walkout side being standard wood framing. The question I have is, this basement already has some internal walls framed and in place and these walls are directly on top of the concrete.

My plan is to lay down platon dimpled underlay with OSB as a subfloor, then frame the remaining walls on top of that. However I'm concerned about having some walls directly on the concrete and then some almost an inch higher on the underlay.

Is this something that's ok to to do? Or should I just frame the rest of the walls, using a pressure treated planks directly on the concrete and just do the underlay in between?

Old 01-14-21, 07:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 853 Votes on 781 Posts
Spycor suggests building new walls right on top of the subfloor.

Old 01-14-21, 07:53 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That is my intention, but the question is, will there be any concerns when mating up new walls on top of the subfloor with walls attached to the concrete?

I just want to make sure I'm not going to run into anything when it comes to electrical (can't see why I would) drywall, plumbing, etc..

Old 01-14-21, 08:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 853 Votes on 781 Posts
No. Only concern would be that 30 years from now if you need to tear out that dimpled subfloor for any reason, all your walls would be built on top of it, trapping that subfloor underneath. Conversely, if you don't build walls on top, those bottom plates that are directly on concrete will not allow drainage, which is the whole reason you are using dimpled subfloor. If you are simply doing it for comfort, there is no reason not to build walls on top of the subfloor.

belacyrf voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: