Inaccessible Attic Space

Old 03-04-21, 01:38 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Inaccessible Attic Space

My attic seems to have two sections which are mostly inaccessible. The main roof pitch blocks access to these areas which have separate (and opposite) gables. Sure, I could cut a hole in the OSB separating the main attic from the inaccessible one, but I'm considering cutting a hole in the ceiling big enough to gain entry to the inaccessible spot since I'm better at patching drywall than knowing what I'd be cutting into in the attic OSB sheets on the side I can't see; I'd be concerned that I'd hit romex or something else while cutting that hole since I can't see in there.

Does my approach seem to make sense?

Old 03-04-21, 02:57 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Either works, usually they provide entry points in separate closets, make you wonder if you have areas uninsulated?

And if your just referring to roof sheeting, there isn't much chance of anything on the opposite side, probably safer than cutting into drywall, but in either case your just going to cut a peep hole first, right!

Old 03-04-21, 05:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
The question is why do you need access to that attic area? If you'll be going up there regularly then installing another access in the ceiling might be reasonable but if your only going up there to complete a job I'd cut the OSB and access it through the attic. Attic scutty holes and doors are difficult to seal and insulate and are notorious energy wasters.

Old 03-04-21, 08:11 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you Marq1 and Dane.

Marq1, I'm worried that the area won't be insulated but I guess I'll just have to find out. If not I'll definitely get it insulated! And yes, I definitely plan on cutting a peep hole just to make sure I'm not drilling into a spider's nest. haha

Dane, I need to run ethernet to that corner of the house. So really the only idea behind cutting through drywall was simply that at least I know how to patch drywall fairly well. Cutting into the OSB is simply an unknown to me in terms of what's behind it, not to mention how tight the quarters are where I'd need to make that cut. On the opposite side of the house there is the same adjoining gable setup, and on that side I can see where they cut the OSB to make an access panel, so I guess I could just copy what they did but make a bigger hole to fit my fat belly through. hahaha

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: