Which type of drain for a crawl space?

Old 05-02-21, 06:19 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which type of drain for a crawl space?

I'm looking for some opinions on which type of drain to use for correcting a wet crawl space. I had three different professional opinions which has only confused me as to which is the better option. The three different methods being considered are: 1) Corrugated, Perforated Drain Pipe, 2) PVC pipe, 3) Vertical drain pipe (Hydraway is the brand).

Is one of these methods better than the other. I am (or at least was) leaning to the Hydraway system, but the last professional in which I talked down the hydraway drain systems stating they will clog due to basically being landscaping fabric wrapped over a vertical open sided drain.

What is everyone's opinion of the Hrdyaway (or vertical drain tile) systems?

How would you rank the three different drainage systems I am currently considering?

BTW, all three would drain to a sump pump in the crawl space, and I would also be adding a dehumidifier to whichever drainage system I decide to use.
Old 05-02-21, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 25,306
Received 913 Votes on 840 Posts
Options 1 and 2 likely are very similar as the PVC pipe they would use is probably perforated. I prefer the rigid, smooth PVC over corrugated black as all the ridges are great for catching debris and make it much harder to clear a clog. I have no experience with Hydraway but from their website it looks worth considering.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: