Waterproofing walls of hatch area (bilco door)

Old 05-19-21, 06:47 AM
N
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Waterproofing walls of hatch area (bilco door)

Hi. I wasn't sure if this should be posted here (basements) or here https://www.doityourself.com/forum/b...lt-concrete-3/ , but I wanted to ask your thoughts on some kind of concrete waterproofing paint (or something...) for the inside of my bilco hatch area.

Knock on wood it's mostly quite dry, with no major water issues, it just gets a little damp sometimes (the concrete steps change color but are not otherwise actually wet). There are a few small cracks on the side, but otherwise it's sealed up pretty well..

We also get large worms squeezing their way in somewhere, coming from somewhere along the top ledge of the hatch, not through the cracks (as I've witnessed them falling from the ledge to the bottom).

In any case, is there anything you would recommend that I can paint the concrete walls with to try and stop any moisture from seeping through, and that might also help cover the small cracks?

In addition, along the ledge (where the bilco meets the concrete), in addition to (or instead of) paint/sealant, what are your thoughts on using something like flex seal (or something like that) to fill in any cracks/holes that I'm not seeing (to try and stop the worms from getting in)?

Maybe something like this for example? https://www.amazon.com/Ames-Strength.../dp/B0021H1NRY

Thank you.

Last edited by newbie0101; 05-19-21 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-19-21, 08:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
There is no coating on the inside that reliably works. Water needs to be stopped on the outside. Follow the usual procedures for insuring a dry basement since that's what you've got.

Old 05-19-21, 08:55 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
One like this?

I had one about 3 houses ago, loved being able to get stuff to the basement without having to drag it through the house.

We had an extension poured off the basement wall when house was built and it had slope to outside so no water issues, that and a generous caulk seal along the bottom.

I'd look at getting some flashing under the door to keep water off the concrete!

Old 05-19-21, 08:57 AM
N
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Correct, that's the bilco door I have (looks a bit newer/nicer though!!!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: