Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Cove joint seepage in basement/garage - can i close the hole without sealing?

Old 03-21-24, 08:29 AM
I
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post

hello!

Our garage is at the basement level and during a clean up this winter, i noticed a constant wet spot at the cove joint, where the garage floor meets 1) the foundation and 2) the masonry wall separating the garage from the basement. See first image below!

The wet spot has remained the same size over the winter (we have freezing or sub-freezing temperatures between November and April) - i'm not sure if the thaw and summer months will cause a change in the seepage.

Anyway, I read that it's not a good idea to seal where the leakage is occurring because you're not really eliminating the water problem, and the hydrostatic pressure that's causing the leakage in the first place will 'relieve itself' some other way.

Fair enough, but my issue is with the creepy crawlies (beetles, centipedes, ugh) which, i suspect are making their way into the house through the 3/4-inch hole that has formed.

Can i place some kind of plastic/PVC floor baseboard molding to block the bugs but still let the water through?
(of course i need to solve the water issue, but that's my summer project!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/196537...in/dateposted/
You can see the water leaking at the cove joint - grey wall is the foundation; white is the masonry wall separating the garage from the basement (door frame on the left); garage door on the right.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/196537...in/dateposted/
Closer look at the leak reveals a 3/4-inch hole. I think critters are making their way into the house here.
Is it OK to just 'close up' the hole with some plastic baseboard so that the bugs are blocked but the water can still make its way through?

Old 03-21-24, 08:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,222 Upvotes on 1,983 Posts
I don't think the insects enter through a crack or that hole at the leak site. I suspect they are inside the house and are simply drawn to the source of moisture.

I don't think you can seal up the hole or where the three surfaces (2 walls & floor) to be water tight so I don't see any harm in filling the hole. If you do want to leave it open for water to seep through you could pack the hole with some stainless steel wool or scrubbie.

Ialsomakesoap voted this post useful.
Old 03-21-24, 02:32 PM
I
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
using the steel wool/scrubbie is a great idea! i'll try that! thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: