Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Drain Tile Depressurization System- How Important is Connection to Drain Tile?

Old 05-07-24, 08:23 PM
V
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I recently had an installer install a radon mitigation system due to smelly soil gases infiltrating house. I also have an interior perimeter drain tile system. They decided to create the suction point at the corner opposite the sump pump. They did create an airtight lid on the sump pump however.

My concern is the connection between the 3" radon vent pipe and my drain tile. The hole in the floor isn't really centered over my drain tile. Rather the radon pipe hole sits a little too north of the drain tile pipe (green pipe in pic). Also, the hole is drilled quite close to the corner of the basement so its right near an elbow fitting in the drain tile (white pipe in pic). Also, the installer simply said they drilled a bunch of small holes in the top of the drain tile in this area with what looked like a 1/8 or 3/16 drill bit. I'm not sure if that is sufficient enough for a drain tile depressurization system or if a single, much larger hole must be drilled. I'm also not sure if there needs to be a physical connection between the vent pipe and drain tile pipe (which obviously didnt happen in this case since its not perfectly centered over the drain tile pipe to begin with).

So, do you think the installation is ok and pulling a vacuum from my drain tile? If not, do you think the system will still adequately remove the soil gas fumes?

Thanks kindly in advance.

Last edited by vi27678; 05-07-24 at 09:18 PM. Reason: update more info

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: