Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Basement Bathroom Wall Framing, tub box in the way?

Old 07-08-24, 01:23 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone, I've been framing my basement. I'm at the bathroom wall. I know my toilet has a 12" setback or whatever. so I measured 12.5" (accounting for 1/2" drywall). when I put a long straight 2x4 down as a visual line to see how things will sit, I find that my wall will cut right over the bathtub cutout thingy. Attached is a picture because I wasn't sure how to describe it. the face of the wall should be on the right side of this 2x4 closest to the pipes (the 2x4 is just used as a straight edge for visuals). Is this ok, and how do I work with it. I can cut the plastic easily with a utility knife, but I wasn't sure how I would re-seal it or if I needed to?

Old 07-08-24, 01:49 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
There is no problem as far as the wall is concerned. It is not load bearing so bridging over the hole in the floor is not an issue.

Are you installing a tub or shower? Have you inspected inside the hole in the floor to see if the pipe is in an accessible location? If installing a tub or shower I would also look inside the hole to see if the installed pipe already has a trap.

Old 07-08-24, 01:53 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pilot Dane! I have not inspected inside the hole. I will have a plumber install the tub when I get to that point. that may be a few years down the road. right now I am finishing the room on the non bathroom side of this wall, so just want to make sure I do it right.

Basically, do I just cut the black cover off, then frame over the hole? should I put any plastic vapor barrier over the hole and tape it to the floor after I cut it flush just for any radon issues? or is this the type of thing that can just stay open?

Old 07-09-24, 04:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
You should get the plumbing figured out first. If any changes need to be made it likely will require cutting & busting part of the floor so you want that work done before you finish the area above, especially since you'll be putting a wall on top of one of the pipes needed for a bathroom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: