how do I cover the dirt floor of my crawlspace?

Old 10-14-01, 02:53 PM
cpllawson
Visiting Guest
I have a 3 foot high crawlspace under part of my house and it has only a dirt floor. I guess I'm just assuming this is a problem -- maybe it's not! The crawlspace isn't used for anything other than access to plumbing and some electrical lines that run through it. I laid some plastic sheeting and cardboard on the floor when I had electricians running some lines (just because it was gross in there, and I thought I'd be nice.) I finally pulled the cardboard and plastic out after about 6 months and there was a lot of moisture under the plastic. The cardboard that was touching the ground was nearly decomposed. Should I put some kind of vapor barrier down to keep the moisture out? The crawlspace is under the kitchen and it just doesn't seem very clean to have that lurking down there! The idea of hauling bags of Quickcrete down there doesn't sound like fun, but I'm thinking about it -- would that be crazy?

Old 10-15-01, 02:39 AM
Visiting Guest
There's no need to cover your crawlspace floor besides your own peace of mind. There is plenty of ventilation to keep the moisture from becoming a problem, plus your floor insulation should have a vapor barrier as well. If you really want a floor, cement is best, but consider alternatives like plastic or gravel. Personally, I'd leave it.
Matt

Old 10-15-01, 03:26 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's not universally accepted, but many experts recommend that you put plastic down over the dirt in a crawl space. It keeps the humidity down, and thus helps avoid termite and wood rot problems. Some recommendations are only to cover 80% of the dirt.

Old 10-16-01, 01:11 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Vapor retarder in crawl space

A 6 mil polyethylene mosture retarder is highly recommended along with adequate foundation vents with no dead air spaces. Retarding the amount of moisture and providing adequate ventilation will go along way toward protecting your structure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: