Moving my oil tank

Old 11-09-01, 07:04 AM
Visiting Guest
I am planning to finish part of my basement this winter. One of the major obstructions to the project is that I have a free standing oil tank in the area that I want to finish. I have a Cape style house, so the steps into the basement are right in the center, the furnace is on one side and the oil tank is on the other. Obviously, I can't move the furnace, so I would like to move the oil tank. I believe that I can physically move it if I let it run low on oil, but I have a few questions. How close can I have the tank to the furnace? Can I put it right next to the furnace? Do I need to put a fire retardant wall between the furnace and the tank if they are next to each other?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 11-10-01, 08:37 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Moving a fuel oil tank

Most oil suppliers tend to also offer the recommended annual maintenance for the furnace and inspect the tank. Perhaps your local oil supplier can help you relocate the tank and avoid a spill and properly relocate the fill pipe and vent the tank to the outside, and check for water in the tank. Oil tanks that are allowed to get low tend to collect condensation (water) in the tank. If water and debris from the tank get drawn into the furnance, you can have some serious problems.

Old 11-13-01, 01:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

If I could have gotten a response from my oil supplier or the town inspector, I wouldn't have needed to come to this forum for advice.

Old 11-13-01, 02:37 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Perhaps you need to call an oil furnace service maintenance company. I am sorry your oil supplier does not offer such services. I don't understand the lack of response from your city inspector.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: