condensation in attic

Old 09-02-01, 06:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Please help me! I had some collector Pepsi cans that leaked all over my carpet. By the time I found the mess, it was moldy. Any ideas on how to get this out? It's a dark blue carpet so any solution has to be colourfast. Thanks!

Old 12-30-01, 01:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Attic Ventilation

Hi Brendan,
It sounds like your attic is not properly ventilated. The insulation should be on the floor of your attic rather than between the joists. Also, there should be an unobstructed flow of outside air from the eves (sofit vents) all the way to the ridge (continuous ridge vent. this will keep the attic, and thus the roof, the same tempurature as the outside.

To install a continuous ridge vent you, or a contractor, should cutthrough the top of the roof about 2 inches to either side of the ridge (4" total width) along the length of the ridge and then cover the "slot" with a continuous ridge vent. It's available at any roofing supplier or home improvement superstore. Its the same with sofit vent - i.e. cut a slot the proper width along the length and cover the slot with a continuous vent.

How this works is that the warm air rising and exiting through the ridge vent will draw cool air into the soffit vent. Make sure the insulation installed in the joists (not rafters) doesn't block the ends of the spaces between the rafters or they will obstruct the air flow.

Hope this helps,
Ted

Old 12-31-01, 05:22 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What causes condensation in attics is warm air. Cold air usually contains less moisture than warm air. That's what free venting attempts to do is absorb the humidity and temperature of the warm air that manages to get through the insulation. In your case it is apparent that a considerable amount of warm air is entering the attic that is making the venting impossible to absorb it fast enough resulting in the condensation. This is usually the result of the attic by-pass phenomea.

Examples of this is an attic entrance that does not close properly, a whole house fan louver in attic floor, water wall chase, wrong recess lighting, bathroom exhaust directly into attic or under insulation directed towards soffits, electrical and plumbing lines.

The amount of moisture in your attic is determined by the amount of warm that enters your attic. Considering the amount of moisture you're experiencing in your attic, there must be another source of the warm air other than through your insulation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: