Drywall thickness--Basement Ceilings

Old 01-05-02, 07:25 AM
starrs
Visiting Guest
Drywall thickness--Basement Ceilings

Any recommendations for the Drywall thickness I should use for my basement ceiling? My ceiling joists are 16" O.C., and my home was built in 1997.

I am torn between using 1/2" and 5/8" thicknesses.

My city building inspector tells me either is fine, but others I have spoke to have strong opinions supporting both 1/2" and 5/8".

Advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-02, 09:15 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1/2" drywall is cheaper and lighter (therefore easier to install).

5/8" drywall is more expensive and a lot heavier, but has a better fire rating, better sound absorption, and greater sag resistance (but the 1/2" won't sag on 16" joists anyway, unless you're planning on some really heavy texture).

But consider that 99% of installations of this type would use the 1/2" drywall. A lot of people therefore think 1/2" is the right answer. I don't think the cost would scare me off the 5/8", but the weight certainly might (unless you're looking for a better workout). I might do it for sound absorption, but there are better ways to do that (like resiliant channels).

Old 01-05-02, 07:55 PM
starrs
Visiting Guest
Thanks!!

Thanks John!!!

Old 01-16-02, 11:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Resiliant Channels

John -

What are resiliant channels? This interests me as I would like to finish my basement and make it into a entertainment (movie) room that might generate a good deal of noise that I'd like to keep out of the upstairs.

Thanks in advance.