Basement insulation: walls vs. ceiling

Old 01-09-02, 03:12 PM
gpn1021
Visiting Guest
Basement insulation: walls vs. ceiling

We have a finished basement with drywall and a suspended ceiling. I'd like to add insulation and wondered if I should insulate the walls, between floor joists, or both. Is there a flexible insulation that can be put behind the drywall? If the ceiling is insulated, should it be unfaced? Should I skip this idea altogether? Thank you for any suggestions...

Old 01-10-02, 12:23 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
walls - definitely!!!!

One of the single largest energy-savings thing you can do is insulate the walls. I was told this by an energy auditor.

I insulated my basement walls when I finished my basement. That cost was recovered in 2 years through heating savings. And I live in the mid-west where we only get a few weeks where the temp never gets above freezing. My basement is warm and comfortable. BTW - my floor is berber carpet over an 8-pound pad.

The only reason to insuate the ceiling is sound-proofing. It will help, but most of the sound comes up the stairway and through the duct work. Let the heat ris and warm the 1st floor.

Old 01-10-02, 12:12 PM
gpn1021
Visiting Guest
Since the walls are finished (with a 2" airspace behind the drywall), what material has a high R-value, is relatively thin, and flexible enough to get it down the wall? I've heard about Reflective insulation (aluminum foil with an airspace). Is it any good or is there something else?

Thank you for your advice!

Old 01-14-02, 12:36 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
not an insulation expert

Sorry, but I don't have a good answer for you. You might try the insulation board on this site.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: