insulation

Old 01-30-02, 12:02 PM
Visiting Guest
insulation

Please help. I need some info on insulating our upstairs. We live in Western PA and we have a story and 1/2 Cape cod, modular. My husband is finishing the upstairs. There is 3 dormers upstairs. He is putting 2 bedrooms and a full bath in the middle. (I don't if this matters or not) We are having a debate on whether we need to run heating ducts to the girls rooms. He thinks that having r38 ( i think it is called) will be enough to heat the upstairs. I am concerned that the girls rooms will be cold and hot in the summer. He thinks it will be fine. We are at the insulation stage now. So I need some opinions quick. Oh he told me that the ceilings in the first floor have r30. Please give me some opinions quick. I am quite illiterate when it comes to construction but I like to research. Thanks.

Old 01-30-02, 04:11 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running the ductwork now is a lot easier to do during construction of the rooms than afterwards. Even if the ducts were not needed because heat rises, all you have to do is close the vents. On the other hand if the ducts are not there and it's not warm enough in those rooms, then you're looking at using space heating until you can run ducts upstairs.

Insulation does not heat or cool a home, it retains it. Since there is insulation in the floor, the only access for the heat to enter the rooms through their doors. I don't know about your girls, but my girls leave their doors closed and prefer them to. They define neatness differently than I do.

In my opinion, running the ductwork gives you options and not runing them limits your options.

Old 01-31-02, 07:33 PM
zalyx1
Visiting Guest
Currently in finishing stages of same type of house with very similar floor plan( Michigan). I am using r-38 as well and r-19 in walls. Almost done drywalling and with all my ducts closed off it's still chilly upstairs. My bath is also in middle of house in an oversize dormer. I would suggest running ductwork to bath as well because dormer sticks out away from house and seems to be the coldest of all.
As resercon said , best to do it if your just starting . If you don't, they will be cutting access holes in your drywall and I'm sure they will charge you more for it.
They ran mine up a chase and behind kneewalls pretty quick. They came twice in a week and were finished.

Oh, by the way , doing plumbing is a real treat upstairs ! Did more sawing than soldering !

Good luck !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: