FireStop??

Old 02-12-02, 07:46 AM
fsanchez
Visiting Guest
Question FireStop??

Can someone please explain what a "firestop" is.

Old 02-12-02, 08:01 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A fire stop is usually place where there is any penetrations from one floor to another. It's primary purpose is to prevent fire from going to the next floor through a chase created by either plumbing, heating pipes or ducts, etc. inside a wall. Each State and/or town will have there own requirements concerning fire stops. Some will allow you to use foam, some won't. You should check with your local building inspector's office or fire department. They will advise you on what the code requires and the best methods and materials for the job. Personally I prefer the fire department when it comes to advice on fire stops. The person you want to talk to is the fire inspector. That person will know what works best in your area.

Old 02-12-02, 08:31 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Try this.

Old 03-19-02, 08:06 AM
S
John, I am finishing a basement and installing a drop ceiling......I read the link and understand fire stops are required beneath the hieght of the drop. If I build the walls an inch forwared of the foundation, is it required that the firestops extend back to the foundation or is a 2*4 in a 2*4 wall sufficient......which leaves the opening behind the wall.........and any thougts if it quicker to tripple the top plate which would allow the ceiling to be installed 3.5 down complete with firestop.

Old 03-20-02, 03:06 PM
J
Stephen,

There are local variations, but normally you'd be required to block that inch of space, both at the top of the wall and every ten feet horizontally. Many areas allow the firestop to be fiberglass insulation. You can also usually use drywall or any wood product at least 3/4" thick. Check with your inspector. One of the nice things about firestopping is that if your inspector tells you that you more at the rough inspection, it's pretty easy to add after your framing is already done. So do your best and then add more as the inspector requests at the rough inspection.

Let us know what he/she says.

Old 03-20-02, 03:43 PM
S
thank you John................

d

Old 03-22-02, 07:17 AM
handimann
Visiting Guest
I'm framing my basement with steel studs and a suspended steel ceiling that will be sheet rocked. Do I sill have to install fire blocking? I dont understand why I would introduce a combustible material into the framework when using steel.
Thanks

Old 07-30-07, 06:58 PM
M
Exclamation metal framing

I am also framing my basement with metal studs and metal track. Do I need to fire stop this? There is nothing combustible... Please help!

Old 07-30-07, 08:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Call your local fire deptartment and/or inspector.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: