Cost to finish basement

Old 02-14-02, 12:44 PM
daredevil
Visiting Guest
Question Cost to finish basement

About how much per square feet does it typically cost to finish a basement if I do it myself? If I hire a contractor?

The basement would have 1 bedroom, 1 family room and one bathroom (about 1000 sq feet).

Old 02-15-02, 05:31 AM
MikeCT
Visiting Guest
I have a little smaller room (700 ft2) and recently had it quoted between $52 and $77 per ft2; that was outrageous. There was nothing elaborate in the quote (bathroom, wet bar, bookcases). As a result, I priced the bill of materials myself, including an electrician, a plumber, the bar with both a front and rear counter, and the bookcases. Total cost will be $10,000-$12,000 ($14-$17 per ft2, but excluding the bathroom, which we changed our mind on). Of course, I'm doing the work myself, but I already have it all framed (2 weekends, plus nights after work) and the electrician is in today. First inspection will be next week. I don't know if my area is unusually expensive, but there's no way to justify the outside contractor costs here.

Old 02-16-02, 07:43 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Cost to finish a basement

Costs of materials and labor vary depending on the area in which you live. Get at least three quotes from licensed and insured contractors. I once had a basement finished out. About 10 'contractors' came to the house. Most never got back with me about the project. I picked up a local magazine featuring a remodel of an old house turned into an office for a publishing company. I called the contractor. He came to my home with a portfolio showing me pictures of his projects. In his portfolio was a copy of his insurance certificate and contractor's license. He was a top notch professional who gave me a bid which I could afford and completed the project to my satisfaction.

Go to www.doityourself.com/basement for remodeling info and how tos. Perhaps you may decide that some of the work you can do yourself. You can also be your own contractor and subcontract out the projects that yo

Old 02-16-02, 07:46 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Cost to finish a basement

Costs of materials and labor vary depending on the area in which you live. Get at least three quotes from licensed and insured contractors. I once had a basement finished out. About 10 'contractors' came to the house. Most never got back with me about the project. I picked up a local magazine featuring a remodel of an old house turned into an office for a publishing company. I called the contractor. He came to my home with a portfolio showing me pictures of his projects. In his portfolio was a copy of his insurance certificate and contractor's license. He was a top notch professional who gave me a bid which I could afford and completed the project to my satisfaction.

Go to www.doityourself.com/basement for remodeling info and how tos. Perhaps you may decide that some of the work you can do yourself. You can also be your own contractor and subcontract out the projects that are beyond your expertise or time limits such as the plumbing and electrical or drywall. Make sure you get a building permit and adhere to local building codes and inspection requirements. There was recently a post re: a basement that was finished out but not according to local codes. To sell the home the basement had to be brought to code or torn out.

Old 02-18-02, 04:59 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
apples to oranges

MikeCT,

I don't think you are being fair the the contractor that gave you the bid. You elminated the bathroom which can be a considerable expense. If your house is not already roughed in for a bathroom, that alone can be expensive. The contractor may have included tearing up the floor to install the drains and vents. Add to that, the cost of fixtures. You don't mention heat/AC. The contractor may have included that.

Costs do vary across the country. I did my basement myself, including a glass block wet bar, for half of what you paid. No, I did not do a bathroom either.

daredevil: Do get three estimates and make sure you understand what each estimate covers. Don't assume anything.

Old 02-18-02, 06:04 AM
MikeCT
Visiting Guest
BobF,

I don't want to disparage contractors, or debate their skills and value. I've seen the work of the contractor who gave me the highest quote, and it's excellent. My point was that I couldn't substantiate the cost per ft2; new construction in the area is about $100-$110 per ft2 for an entire house, which includes land, building a foundation, etc. To pay $77 ft2 for just a basement was too much. I don't mind paying a fair price or a fair profit margin for the contractor, but 4x to 5x of what I can do myself is too much.

I only wanted to let daredevil know the facts about my situation, since his question was how much he'd pay doing it himself vs. hiring out.

As for the bathroom, the contractor built in $7500. That seems high; it was to be an ejector system, similar to what I'm having put in for the wet bar. The rough plumbing and fixtures shouldn't be that expensive.

There was already a heating system included in the $10,000-$12,000 I mentioned in my first post.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: