Low basement ceiling

Old 02-19-02, 06:08 AM
ejje
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Low basement ceiling

We're looking to refinish a basement that has only about 6'2" clearance. Lots of plumbing underneath the joists or butt up against it. Any ideas for the ceiling? Looking for code requirements also. Aware that digging out runs into the thousands of $

Old 02-19-02, 08:25 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i have a similar problem.. i think my solution will be to drywall the ceiling, above the exposed piping, then build soffits around the piping to simulate wood framing.

before my demo of the space, the pipes were just exposed, and painted. they did help provide some warmth to the area!

Old 02-20-02, 01:11 AM
Dr. G
Visiting Guest
Talking Also check Ceilingmax.com

I'm thinking about doing my basement with this acoustic "drop" ceiling. Probably not quite as 'thin' as the drywall, but a lot better than the typical drop ceiling. Just an idea. Home Depot carries it...

Old 02-20-02, 09:28 AM
Buffalo Dave
Visiting Guest
go with a drop ceiling preferably accoustic. if you have room within the joists, staple egg cartoons with cone pointing doing. they make great sound barriers. the sound dies in the cone. i have it in a room in my basement where my wife gives music lessons. its quited the upstairs dramatically.

Old 03-06-02, 05:58 AM
Pugaboom
Visiting Guest
ejje, I obviously can't speak for your local area as I can mine, but you should call your city Inspectors office to get an answer to your "code" questions. In MANY cases, 6'2" is WELL below what the code specifies for obtaining a permit to finish a basement. In my city, the code states 7' minimum for a permit to finish out a basement, and this tends to actually be a "standard" limitation used in most areas across the country, but it definitely varies from one local to another so check your local codes. I chose to go ahead and finish the basement anyway without a permit...shhhhhh.... because they would not have issued me a permit anyway since my basement ceiling height is too low, but I am doing ALL other work according to code to the best of my ability. Good luck.

Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: