conduit workaround for 2x4 stud wall?

Old 02-20-02, 11:07 AM
eaanderson
Visiting Guest
conduit workaround for 2x4 stud wall?

I'm planning on going with 2x4 stud walls built just inside the basement concrete walls. One wall, however has the main sewer conduit (4" dia I believe) running horizontally along it at a height of about 6 feet. The easiest approach would be to simply construct the 2x4 wall inside of the conduit, but i would lose a full 4 inches of floor space (8' including the wall thickness).

Is there any rather simple workaround that I can apply (e.g. turning the vertical studs flatwise, or notching the vertical studs around the conduit) in building this wall which would allow me to regain several inches of floorspace? Perhaps I should accept the hit in floorspace and get over it?

Thanks for any ideas,
Eric

Old 02-20-02, 11:23 AM
MikeCT
Visiting Guest
I just finished framing last week, and had the exact same situation. I simply framed about 5 inches in from the wall; you're right, it's a little loss of floor space, but my room was 28' x 24', so it wasn't that big a deal. As for turning the studs sidewise, etc. I wouldn't recommend it. And you'll still have to be out 4" or so from the wall unless you move the pipe. I think you'll never even miss the space in the end.

Old 02-21-02, 04:06 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
build a closet?

I can't see your basement, but have you considered building a closet around it? My water supply is in a corner, including the whole house shut off valve. I built a closet around it. The storage space is real handy!

Old 02-21-02, 09:52 AM
GHolmes
Visiting Guest
My waste line (and water supply lines) was similarly situated. When I added a full bathroom to my basement I left a small walkway behind it so that I would have access to all of the plumbing. This may work for you as well. If you are going to lose 8 inches, is there enough overall space to put in such a narrow walkway? In addition to the access for plumbing repairs, I hung peg board and keep many tools and other equipment in that area.

Good Luck. Greg.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: