put basement wall up, now above floor squeaks

Old 03-03-02, 01:58 PM
slalomx
Visiting Guest
Angry put basement wall up, now above floor squeaks

So I built a wall in the basement, stood it up and it was a little too long, but not by much. I pounded the bottom with hammers and eventually got it vertical. Then I screwed screws into the concrete, nailed the top plate into the joists, etc.

Later on, I realized I had two new squeaks on my first floor and they were directly above the new basement wall. Obviously what I did was push the joists up, which in turn pushed the subfloor up. Now when I walk over it.....squeak!

I am just not sure about the best way to fix the squeak. I checked for gaps between the joist and subfloor and really couldn't find anything, so I don't think shims are going to help. I can't even see the joists or subfloor move when I have my wife walk over it, but the squeaks are there. What do you think the best fix for this would be aside from taking the wall down.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-02, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You did not mention the type of floor covering you have on your squeaky floor. Floors that squeak are usually nailed down, instead of screwed down. Usually a couple of 3" screws will cure the problem. Just so you know, you did your basement wall correct.

Old 03-03-02, 02:42 PM
slalomx
Visiting Guest
The flooring is berber carpet.

Do you suggest some type of fix from below,

Using the kind of screws that break off below the carpet level,

or some other fix?

Old 03-03-02, 04:01 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The best fix would come from pulling up the carpet, putting more screws in the subfloor, and then restretching the carpet. But that's probably too much trouble.

First I'd seriously ask myself whether I should take down that wall and do it again. I have no idea how much you raised your joists, but you may have caused a lot more trouble than you have so-far discovered. Do you yet have any trouble with drywall cracks (but perhaps they haven't showed up yet), or doors that don't work well any more? Also, someday you may want to replace that carpet with some kind of flooring that demands a more even surface than you have now. I'm not sure what other kinds of problems you might have created.

Now assuming you are not going to pull the carpet, and you are not going to redo the wall, the squeak fix should be done from below. You need a helper above to repeatedly step on the squeak while you look and feel for it below. When you find it, you may be able to tap (not pound!) a thin shim coated with glue in there. Nothing squeaks without movement.

Old 03-04-02, 06:48 PM
slalomx
Visiting Guest
I found out what the problem was. Most of the wall studs for the new basement wall were the correct length. However, some of them were cut too short and left a gap between the stud and the top plate. So it's the two nails that are getting flexed when pressure is put on that area of the top plate. I am not sure if shims would work since the two nails kind of obstruct the gap. I am wondering if I should just break some shims of and put small shim pieces on all four sides of the stud to stop the flexing?