Moisture in crawl space - help

Old 04-16-02, 10:36 AM
D
Dig
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moisture in crawl space - help

I have a crawl space under the front of my store. It is about 3 feet deep and it has a dirt floor. I have a real problem with moisture as I need to replace part of my floor that was replace just 3 years ago.

I have read so many different opins about using/not using vents.

Here is what I am thinking of doing. Rip up the floor and lay plastic on the dirt floor using duct tape to seal any seams.

I will then replace the rotten floor joists with treated lumber and replace the floor.

My questions are:
1.) Should I place vents in the sides of the space?
2.) Should I use some type of vent fan to keep the air moving?
3.) Should I not use vents at all?
4.) Should I place more plastic over the floor joists before I place the plywood down?

Help! I don't want to replace this floor again!!!

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-16-02, 12:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

You're dealing with two things...too much ground moisture and too much air moisture.
The only solution is ventilation...moving air.
By all means add regular crawlspace vents around this space, AND an exhaust fan.
I had moisture dripping off of my pipes, insulation, etc. in my crawlspace for years, until I installed a 10" louvered exhaust fan in my crawlspace door and pulls air constantly through the vents.
It runs 24/7 (except in freezing winter) on a little 1/30 hp motor and uses almost no energy at all.
Determine the cubic footage of your crawlspace area (height X width X length), and that should tell you what cubic-foot-per-minute fan is recommended for ventilation.
The one that I bought actually has about twice the recommended cfm, and it keeps it dry as bone under there now.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-17-02, 04:59 AM
D
Dig
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks OLDGUY. I guess Home Depot carries them. I will check it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: