basement bathroom

Old 06-03-02, 07:24 PM
lunker
Visiting Guest
basement bathroom

We are planning on adding a bathroom to our basement but due to the low ceiling level I'm concerned about excessive moisture even with the exhaust fan on. The ceiling height will end up at about 86" when finished. Instead of using water resistent sheetrock would we better to install a cement board or some other product with a vapor barrier to reduce any moisture problems primarily on the ceiling but also on the walls. We are planning on installing a tub / shower combo and are considering a tub with a shower cap to help control the moisture. Thank You.

Old 06-04-02, 09:15 PM
J974
Visiting Guest
I think you will be fine. It's not like your installing a steam room! Your going to have a vent. If your putting tile on the walls I would use the durarock cement , If not use greenboard drywall. Use regular drywall on the ceilings, I'm not for certain why, but the drywall companies do not reccomend greenboard for ceilings. When you paint the ceilings use a paint that is for high moisture areas. I have done several basement bathrooms just this way and never had problems. One last important thing is to caulk good around the tub/shower unit.

Old 06-04-02, 11:12 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Basement bathroom

Don't forget to check in with the local authorities regarding building codes, permits, and inspections.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: