Whole House Fan

Old 07-19-02, 10:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Whole House Fan

I would like to install a whole house fan. However, I am not sure how to install it. I have a 2 story cape. The hall at the top of the stairs is very small (3x5.5 feet), Does the fan need to be positioned at the very top of the steps or can it be installed slightly to the side of that? I ask, because naturally there is a light at the very top of the stairs.

Then my next question is, how do I know if I can cut the framing or not to put this fan in? The house was build in 1975 and is very solid. I have recently cut a whole in the ceiling to allow access to catch a few stray SQUIRRELS --ohy that was another problem. So I figured I could put the fan there. The spacing was i believe 14 or 16 inches.

help

Old 07-19-02, 11:10 AM
R
My fan takes up a 32" square. I didn't install it, but the builder simply cut one of the ceiling joists and reframed the opening. Mine is located off center from the stairway, so that should not be problem. You may have to relocate the light, but that should not be too difficult if you have the ceiling open anyways.

Here's a good web site: http://www.eren.doe.gov/buildings/home_fan.html

Old 07-20-02, 01:04 PM
Lightbulb Exhaust vents

be SURE to have enough free vent area in the attic for the fan to operate properly, many fans need 5 sq FEET of net free vent area to work properly.

Very few homes have this much ventilation, check yours before installing the fan ..

Old 07-22-02, 04:21 AM
Thank you for your help guys.

Could you please explain more about this 5 square rule. My attic is extremely small since the second level takes up the majority of space. From the insulation to the ridge, there is only a clearance of maybe 3-4 feet. This attic is not meant for storage.

Old 07-22-02, 05:38 AM
Lightbulb Vent area

All that air going from your house up inot the attic MUST leave the attic somehow ...

Most manufacturer's require basically a 5 sq ft hole in the attic to the outside (not one hole but several smaller ones adding up the the same area) to relive backpressure in the attic caused by the fan ..

Basically this means adding more soffit vents/ridge vents/turbines, depending on how your attic is set up.

Read the details on the manufacturer's website, every one is slightly different

Old 07-22-02, 05:41 AM
Now I understand. Thank you.

I do have sufficient ventilation out of the attic. Two gable vents (none disrupted) and new ridgevents (i had added when I had the roof redone.)

Thank you for your explanation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: