broken exercise bicycle question

Old 07-26-03, 01:06 AM
moesha
Visiting Guest

I have an older exercise bike that I'm really fond of. While riding it today, it locked up and simply won't go forward or back. I hope that you might have some thoughts on how I can fix or salvage my old friend.

It's an AMF TRE ERGOMETER

The chain is in place, though before it jammed I heard a squeek and made a mental note to take a look at it. I can move the pedals back and forth appx 1/8th of an actual turn and it sticks both ways.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much,
Moesha

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-03, 07:52 AM
Precision Pedal
Visiting Guest

I have never seen one of these before but I will try to help you based on what I know. it sounds like it is either the bottom bracket bearings or the bearings in the wheel itself. These are basiccaly the only thing that can go wrong with them, since you have stated the chain is in place. The squeak you heard could have been one or two of the sets of bearings going out. Meaning they came out of the retainer, or if they are of the sealed type they have cracked.
At this point disassembly of those areas for inspection and replacement is going to be needed.

Old 07-31-03, 04:47 PM
moesha
Visiting Guest
thanks so much

Thanks so much for your response. I'm gonna try and get in there and see whats going on.

much obliged,
Moesha

Old 08-01-03, 06:45 AM
I'd be interested to know

Hopefully AMF used a cartridge bottom bracket, because that would make the fix very easy: remove the old one, thread in the new one and you're done. If it's older, it will be a little more involved, but still do-able. Please let us know how it goes.

Congratulations to you for actually *using* your home exercise equipment, and for using it so much you've actually worn it out!