Rear deailleur replacement

Old 04-25-04, 06:58 PM
will44
Visiting Guest
Rear deailleur replacement

Recently I found a fuju series IV bike which was in fair condition, did some work on it, replace cables, chain and clean off some rust. well I broke the rear derailleur somehow. Both the front and rear derailleur are suntour mountech and I am wondering if there is any other rear derailleur that might do.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-04, 11:23 PM
Precision Pedal
Visiting Guest
Well I am not that familiar with that Suntour product but here is what I do know to be true. If the bike has friction shifting, meaning no indexing click when you shift then most current shimaNO derailleurs will work. If it has index shifting then chances are as per experience that the shifting will be off if you mix brands. Reason being is Suntour's indexing was made to work with Suntour. It will work with shimaNO but it wil be erradic at best.
Also since you replaced the chain it is always a good idea to replace your cogs as well. When I say cogs I mean the gears on your rear wheel. Reason is the chain and cogs wear together, so when you replace a chain on old cogs your shifting will not be a crisp as it could be. More than likely what you have is a freewheel and this as well as cassettes require specific tools to remove them. Suntour freewheels require Suntour remover tools.
Anyway back to the der question. You will need to match as close as yuo can the cage length on the der. If you have a shoret cage der you need to get a short cage der. Long cage, long cage etc. If your shifting is Suntour index then if you desire to keep it Suntour then you will need to procure a Suntour der. E-Bay and Recycled Cycles is a good place to look for these parts. Recycled Cycles usually has a variety of Suntour der's at resonable costs. They are of course recycled parts meaning used but they do not get super used up stuff so it will still be in descent to real good shape.
If I can assist you further let me know.

Old 04-27-04, 08:15 PM
will44
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thank you for the info, will see what I can do. Maybe I'll just ditch the bike, might be too much time and money. Thanks again for the info.

Old 04-27-04, 10:31 PM
Precision Pedal
Visiting Guest
No do not ditch the bike. I just found a pic of your bike. If it is correct it has down tube friction shifters. If you are not looking to invest a bunch of money into it you can get inexpensive rear der's if the chain does not skip all over the cogs then they will not be needed. If you need a inexpensive rear der let me know.

Old 05-07-04, 10:55 AM
handydude
Visiting Guest
Yeah, haven't seen the bike, but a rear derailer is not that big of deal to replace. All you'll need really is a chain breaker, an allen wrench to get the old one off and the new one on and a phillips screwdriver to adjust it once you have it on there. If you find a new derailer in the box, they usually come with instructions on how to adjust the high and low stops.
Again, haven't seen the bike, but a new chain wouldn't be a bad idea if the old one is in question. It might have contributed to the old derail getting wiped out. Bike might have been put on its side before too, bent the derail and caused it to break. Properly maintained a decent derailer will last a long long time.
All said and done if the components are nothing fancy you could probably replace the chain and derail for about $25 bucks if you shop around.
Good luck.

Search this Thread