spokes

Old 05-10-04, 09:43 PM
spokes

I recently trued my rear wheel as it was very wobbly and rubbed against the brake pads. It came out very good considering I did it by eye. My only question is how tight should the spokes be? I know they are too loose now since I can move them relatively easily by wiggling them (maybe a 1/4" or more lateral movement). Is there a certain amount of movement that I should shoot for?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-04, 10:15 PM
Precision Pedal
Visiting Guest
Here is a good article, http://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/tension.htm
I do not know what to say about movement of spokes for tension. I have always gone by feel. Of course I have built numeorus wheelsets in my years, and do not really know how to tell you this technique for it is easier to show. I will say this it is a good idea for all spokes to be of equal tension. You can do this by grabbing two of the same spokes on the same side of the rim with each hand and pull them together, they should feel the same if not then adjust them, and check the wheel for true. Use your brake pads as a guage.

Old 05-11-04, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the info. Thats a very interesting article. I'll give it a try on friday and see how it comes out. Never thought about doing it that way.

Old 05-19-04, 10:46 AM
Well, I got the spokes issue settled (I think). I dont know if I got the right pitch out of the spokes, but they are almost exactly the same pitch. Sounds very much like the front wheels spokes (which I never touched). I took it for a test ride and all seems well. I guess the true test will be the 50 mile ride that I am doing on saturday. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.