Rear axle

Old 06-19-04, 11:32 AM
Rear axle

Anyone know what the procedure is for replacing the rear axle on a Magna 18 speed. Model # 8546-84. Or just for replacing a rear axle in general.
A friend gave me this bicycle which he bought for his wife a few years ago. She used it for only one ride, and when they moved, in transport bent the axle and derailer. I found a bicycle in the garbage and swapped out the derailer. The axle looks the same diameter and length. Is it as simple as taking the nuts off, pulling out the old axle (if it will come out since it is bent) and installing the new one?

Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-04, 07:57 AM
Precision Pedal
Visiting Guest
In order to do this correctly you should pull the freewheel off. Then remove the locknut on one side, while holding the other. Then remover the cone on the side you removed the locknut. The axle should then pull out whether it is bent or not. More than likely the bearings will come with it. They of course will have an equal amount on both sides. At this point it would be a god time to clean out the races on the hub, and clean and inspect the bearings. Then apply a copius amount of grease to the hub races and reinstall the bearings. Use the same procedure for extracting the axle from the other wheel. You can do that without pulling the freewheel since you just need the axle.
Now to reinstall the axle, make sure you push the axle through without removing or pushing bearings out of the hub or into the hub body. reinstall the cone any spacers then while holding the locknut on one side screw down the other. Make sure you have the exact same axle threads exposed on both sides of the hub. Now for the adjustment of the axle. Make sure the axle spins freely without resistance, and has no sloppy action ot it. Once you achive that hold the cone down then tighten the locknut on the same side. Now grab the axle in the wheel and see if the is any slop. If there is hold the cone downone one side and tighten the other in small increments, then tighten the locknut. Reinstall the freewheel, place back in frame dropouts and ride.
Having cone wrenches for wheels is going to make your life alot easier. Most any LBS can procure you a set of Lifu bike tools in a carry case for less than $50. It has mosrt tools you will need to successfully complete alot of repairs.

If you need a photographic illustration go here:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_hub.shtml

Old 06-21-04, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the info and the link. Doesnt look like too difficult of a task. I will give it a whirl.

Old 06-28-04, 01:10 AM
irsean
Visiting Guest
A Magna 18 speed is a Dept. bike with steel parts. Probably just as cheap and a whole lot easier of you just took the rear wheel to your local bike shop and buy a new rear wheel and have them switch out the freewheel for you.

Old 07-03-04, 09:07 PM
I could have taken it to a bike shop, but then what fun would that be?
I forgot I even had this thread going. I did the axle a few weeks ago without a problem.

"Probably just as cheap and a whole lot easier..."

Nothing is as cheap as free.