Rank amateur working on 1978 Raleigh

Old 07-17-04, 09:29 AM
ral78
Visiting Guest
Rank amateur working on 1978 Raleigh

Hi,
For the first time since I've had this 10-speed bike (new), I'm tearing it down and cleaning it up. I'm fairly handy with tools but know next to nothing about bike repair or terminology, so please bear with me! I want to remove the set of gears from the rear hub to clean up & inspect. Does it require a special tool? Thanks.

Picture at: http://www.boomspeed.com/wfhguy/600Mvc-237f.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-04, 09:25 AM
GazzBC
Visiting Guest
Man, it's been a while since I've seen that kind of setup. From what I recall, you'll need a splined tool that will remove the entire freewheel assembly, which is threaded onto the hub (as opposed to modern designs, which have a separate gear cluster cassette that slides onto freehub, which in turn is threaded onto the hub).

Someone feel free to correct me, I haven't taken one of those apart in many years.

Old 08-09-04, 11:50 AM
wotbus
Visiting Guest
Yup - you need special tools and not really a job for a beginner. It's probably not really necessary to dismantle to clean anyway. Try this: remove the rear wheel and lean it against your legs with the sprocket facing away from you. Hold a piece of cloth (close weave not towel or the like or it keeps snagging on the sprocket teeth) tightly between two hands about a foot long. Feed the rag in between the sprockets and gently saw up and down. The sprocket will lock in the direction of normal road travel allowing the rag to feed into it, and revolve when you go in the opposite direction thus turning it to the next dirty bit. Of course, if your sprockets are lightweight and full of holes it's a different ball game. If you really want to get it off, take it to your nearest bike shop who will take it off for you to clean and replace it for you, for a small fee of course. The price of the removal tools is cost prohibitive just for cleaning. If you are continually changing cassette's for different events or courses then that's also another ball game. Good luck.