Looking to buy a new Bicycle

Old 10-04-05, 05:58 PM
Looking to buy a new Bicycle

Any recommendations on a new bike for around town and on bike trail riding? I usually go about an hour three times a week with regular uphill rides. I basically ride for exercise and pleasure.

I've been using my son's 26" Murray 15 speed and it's time to treat myself to something better, but I don't want to spend over $300. Thanks for your suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-05, 07:20 PM
Mike Pula
Visiting Guest
Bicycle Recommendations

Try checking the local bike shops for some good year end prices on a cross bike. Most quality brands (Giant, Specialized, Trek ec) have good options. With a good sale price you can find a pretty good around town bike with some low gearing for those hiils for $300 or better. Good luck.

Old 10-29-05, 07:50 PM
PunkinHead
Visiting Guest
I just bought a Trek 4500, and I am satisfied with its performance. Research the bikes in your price range and then go to your local bike shop and ride them. You might like the Trek 3700. Happy riding.
JD

Old 11-04-05, 05:14 PM
addctd2adrnlne
Visiting Guest
Talking Some questions to consider before buying.

You have already started to answer the first questions about buying a bike. That would be how you intend to use the bike, but let's dig a bit deeper since there a many options available to you.

You already stated that you are planning on riding around town and on a local bike path. Is that path paved or is it gravel/dirt/limstone screening, or even wood chips.

If the path is paved I would direct you to a hybrid, a bike that has 700c wheels. 700c wheels are the same size as a road bike wheel but the tires on the hybrids are wider and have a larger volume of air. An excellent wheel choice for someone who is sticking mostly to paved surfaces.

If the path is gravel/dirt/limstone then I would recomend a comfort bike. A comfort bike is a bike with 26 in wheels but is designed primarily for leisure riding and mostly paved or well maintained surfaces, such as a crushed limstone trail. The tires on these bikes are the same size as a mountain bike but have a less aggressive tread. The smoother tread of the comfort bike allows for less resistance on the pavement. While the similar size and width of the tire allows for greater control on unpaved surfaces.

If the path is wood chips or loose dirt you might want to consider a full on mountain bike. You will lose some of the efficiency of the other two bikes while on the pavement, but you will have far greater control on the rougher terrain.

Both the comfort bike and the hybrid bike will start at similar price points that will be pushing your $300.00 limit, but you should still be able to find one right around the $300.00 mark. The price will increase quickly in those two bike categories, but don't shy away from taking a close look at the entry level model in those categories, that may be where you will find the bike to best match your needs.

The mountain bike will start closer to $200.00 in a bike shop and give you a few more options before hitting $300.00.

The best thing that you can do is visit your local bike shop. If there is another one near by, I would definitely see what they carry. Test ride a few models after being fit by a knowledgeable employee. Only by taking a model out for a test ride will you be able to truly see if that bike fits you. Each manufacturer builds their frames slightly differently, so that slick new bike a friend got might be really cool and all, but it also may be the worst fit for you. A $300.00 bike that fits will be much more enjoyable than a $3000.00 bike that doesn't. Pay attention to the type of shifting the bike has, there are two basic styles for the type of bike you are looking at, twist shifting and trigger shifting. Some people prefer one to the other.

Also feel out what the bike shop's service will be like. A reputable shop will offer at least one free adjustment to the bike since the steel cables for shifting and braking will stretch during the first couple months of use.

The $300.00 to $500.00 priced bikes are the bread and butter of shops. Sure the employees will spend a ton of time on that die hard rider in spandex dropping $5000.00 on his/her new race rig. But don't let that deter you. Most shop employees are very enthusiastic about riding and are more than willing to spend as much time with you as necessary. If they are not, check out the shop down the street.

Sorry for the length of this reply. I hope that helps you in your search for a new ride. Happy riding.

Old 05-19-06, 09:36 PM
I would look for a used bike at that price, it is very common for people to try a $500 bike this year for a few rides and find it never got ridden the following year or thereafter...

if it looks new, the wheels are true/straight there's very little that is likely to be wrong with it... occaisionally the hubs are a problem but if it really looks like it was never ridden (little rubber hairs still on the tires) even mis-adjusted hubs can be rescued with a proper adjustment...

good luck

Old 05-22-06, 07:28 AM
If I can add $0.02

You've been riding for a while and want to upgrade- good on ya! It's great aerobic, low-impact exercise. As another poster mentioned, many people buy expensive bikes that sit in the garage forever and don't get used, but it sounds like that won't happen to you.

This means, though, that you're going to spend a fair amount of time on the bike- and it's critical that the bike fits you to ensure not only a comfortable ride but also to prevent excess stress and strain on your joints. A seat that's too low, for instance, causes knee strain; a handle bar that's too far will cause you to lock your elbows when they should be bent. This kind of thing isn't hard to learn, and a web search on "how to fit a bicycle" can give you knowledge to either do it yourself or knowledge to raise a red flag if a bicycle store employee gives you poor information or a run-around.

So depending on how you want to proceed, you may want to stop by the right LBS (local bike shop) to get your bike. The "right" shop will take time to fit the type of bike to your riding style, the right size bike to your body, and will have spare parts to make subtle improvements- if the handlebar stem is too short they will usually install the right one at no charge on a new bike, for instance.

If you decide to go this route, do yourself a favor and go to the bike shop in the early evening in the middle of the week, preferably on a rainy day. This is a slower time of day for the shop, and they'll be able to spend more time with you. EVERYONE wants to ride their bike on a sunny Saturday morning!

Good luck with it- enjoy!