how seamless should gear shifting be?

Old 09-15-05, 02:14 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how seamless should gear shifting be?

I have a Specialized road bike equipped with Shimano 105 and 3 chain rings. I've had it for about 3 weeks and am trying to get a feel for it -and doing so- but for the sense that there is too much in the way of clanking when I am swiching to the lower gears (mainly in the rear cogs). At first I knew my technique was partly to blame as I paused my pedaling briefly while changing gears. However, I got better at avoiding doing that but it still seems to make a lot of noise. The manual says it should be silent and seamless, maybe this is relative? Or an overstatement? Or me, still?

PS I did take it in for the after wearing in tune-up, but not much has changed.

Don't get me wrong, overall the bike performs astoundingly well...and maybe I'm nit-picking, if so, I'd appreciate a word on that.

Thanks!

Old 09-22-05, 07:43 PM
jadwy916
Visiting Guest
Hello Egreen

Your bike should shift very seamlessly. If the shop you took it to didn't fix it, than you should take it to a different shop. Let them know exactly the problem and they most likely will fix the problem (usually exactly the problem and nothing more).

If you plan to "do it yourself", you should know that it could be several things.
It could be just that you need new cables. Easy enough to fix, but difficult to adjust. It takes a while to get the hang of it, but once you start messing with it you can figure it out. Let the shop know what kind of shifters you have and they should be able to give you the correct cable style (of which there are about 3).
It could be the shifter. In which case you could disassemble and lube. there really isn't much to them, but there are small parts inside, so be careful!!!
It could be the derealure (spelling?). I've never taken one apart, but if you disconnect the cable and remove the chain it should move freely end to end. If it doesn't it may need to be replaced.

I hope it works out for you!!! Good luck!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: