New Bike for 10 yr old

Old 11-18-05, 02:51 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
New Bike for 10 yr old

I'm looking for a new bike for my 10 yrs old son for Christmas. I have no idea where to start. I know he wants one of the "cool" ones (which of course, I don't know what that is) and he wants one he can do tricks on ...like a freestyle one? One w/those pegs on the wheels or something. A list of good, cool bikes would definitely help since there are sooooo many out there.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-18-05, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can find cool "expensive" and cool "inexpensive " bikes. At 10 years old, he will probably outgrow whatever you buy this Christmas very quickly. If he is just learning to do tricks, he will probably also ruin the new bike. Best way to find what he thinks is cool is to ask him. Then let your budget and common sense be your guide. Good luck.

Old 11-18-05, 03:25 PM
D
Yeah, that's true...and of course I want the cool, inexpensive bike. I didn't want to ask him since I wanted it to be a suprise for Christmas. Maybe I can just take him to the store for Christmas.

Thanks

Old 11-18-05, 03:34 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You could cover the fact that you are thinking of buying it by just waiting until he mentions it again and, quite innocently ask , "Well. what IS a cool bike?"

Old 11-23-05, 12:34 PM
T
For inexpensive bikes, check out the BMX, freestyle, and jumping bikes at Walmart. Also, do some online research on these special bikes so when you go shopping you will know more about what you are buying.

Old 11-23-05, 02:36 PM
D
Twelvepole: I was just looking on the internet for a BMX before seeing your post! Just decided to buy a used BMX bike from Ebay and fix it up to his liking! What a great idea! There are some sales this Friday for new BMX's but I found one on Ebay that I think he'd like. All it needs is a spray paint job cuz it's not the right color. (But,u know, we'll see if I win and when I get it, hopefully that's all I need to do). If not I'll be in the stores soon. The prices aren't really bad at Kmart and Walmart...

Majakdragon: I told him last night..."I always wanted a pink bike when I was little"...and it worked. He said he wanted a black bike, w/wheels that looks like car wheels,etc. It worked... Thanks!

Old 11-26-05, 07:30 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are bike shop brands of freestyle bikes you can get under $200.00. The difference is the basic components. Department store bikes will last a while, but if he is into riding freestyle, and he will become hooked easy, look for a good bike. All freestyle bikes are on a 20" wheel so don't worry about him outgrowing it.With freestyle lower the seat can be, the more out of the way it will be when he learns tricks and the more out of the way it will be as he grows.All freestyle riders use a 20" wheeled BMX bike with pegs and some like a gyro on the headset. A gyro allows for tricks like bar spins. A gyro is also the most overrated feature on a bike, they really inhibit the bikes braking power. Besides, bar spins are easily done with a longer brake cable. Department store freestyle bikes also do not have reinforced double wall rims, you don't want to be replacing parts soon after he starts learning new tricks.

Check with your local bike shop, ask about last year's models and models of which they only have one left, there are bargains to be made at a real bike shop.

Another benefit that comes with a purchase of a bike shop bike is warrantee and service.

Also get a good BMX helmet. It both looks cooler, and will keep his brain in his melon protected better.

Old 11-27-05, 06:27 AM
DIY, what brand is the bike on ebay ?? There are a lot of pro model bikes that you can get for $200 bucks or so, brand new. My sons Hoffman was just over $400 but you can get a different model of a Hoffman for under $200. Unless he's racing the actual model wont matter much. I'm not bashing but Mongoose and Schwinn aren't cool anymore since they are sold at department stores.

Old 11-27-05, 01:59 PM
D
Department stores dictate the price they will pay for a Schwinn or Mongoose.

Schwinn and Mongoose have to find a way to sell their product for said price and still make a profit.

Quality components are sacraficed to meet the price.

Double wall rims are replaced with single wall.

Aluminium or Chrome-Moly frames are replaced with a weaker, heavier mild steel.
(want to see a look of disappointment? Watch a kid try to learn tricks on heavy bike with weak rims)

Brake components are still the same brand, most use Shimano brakes. Department store bikes will have bottom of the line brake components.

Department store bikes are assembled by the same kid that sweeps the stock room. Department store assembly costs extra.Bike shop bikes are assembled by a professional, and sold assembled.

There are few bikes made in the US, Schwinn and Mongoose are now overseas to meet said prices. They are shipped here and in shipping pre-assembled parts loosen.

Bike shop assembly includes all adjustments to brakes, unlike department stores.

Bike shop assembly also includes proper wheel spoke adjustment. spoke adjustment can be lost in transit, if not readjusted a wheel could develope a taco shape, especially a single wall rim.

See a bike shop pro before deciding.

Old 11-28-05, 03:47 PM
D
WOW! Nuff said...will check out pro bike shops. Thanks guys!!! That's the info I was kinda looking for...but all new words to me...

Anyway, Mattison...it was a schwinn on ebay and I placed my cheapy bid and lost by a penny which was actually good cuz my bro said that bike looked dirty and not so boyish (not those words exactly)...tho I told him I was going to fix it up...guess boys and girls have different tastes! Guess I'll need to have my bro go w/me for a boy's opinion...

Thanks all!

Old 11-28-05, 04:01 PM
D
I'm glad to see you chose to use a real bike shop. You won't be sorry, and you'll save $$$ on replacement parts. I have seen many people learn the hard way, buying a department store bike and then replacing half of it with bike shop parts. Your son will be very pleased.

Let us know what bikes you're looking at before you take the plunge.

Old 12-27-05, 01:37 PM
D
Whoops! 4 got to talk to you guys first about what bike to get but...

Ebay didn't work out...

Went to a store...not Kmart or Walmart or any of the sort... and gave into getting a BMX Diamond Back (ok...I kinda went overboard on the price) But, setting aside the price... ...that store did offer lifetime warranty on the frame and they guy had a check list of things to mark off before giving me the bike...checked the tires, chain, etc. He ended up not selling it to me as the chain was not on correctly and he couldn't correct it b/c he didn't have the tool so he refused to sell it to me. That was good though and I thanked him.

Went to an actual bike shop after Christmas and bought the BMX Haro. I know it's a freestyle bike and I was kinda iffy about it but when my son got it he was sooooo happy. I'm still afraid of him getting it stolen but I think it is a good bike...pricey, but good as to the frame and warranty and the things he can do with it. Lifetime warranty on the bike plus free "tune ups" or whatever you call it. The shop has been there for 47 years so...

Old 12-28-05, 05:43 PM
D
Give him a lock and make him lock it wherever he goes! Haros are a hot property. By the way congrats on the purchase of one of the finest BMX bikes out there. He will get years out of that bike.

Old 12-29-05, 04:16 PM
D
Hey, do you work at a bike shop? j/k! That's exactly what the guy said there. I do have to get him a good lock b4 he heads back to school after Christmas vacation...thanks for reminding me.

Old 01-12-06, 05:07 AM
Haro brings back memories. You bought a legend of a bike, and if he takes care of it when he's done he may even be able to sell it for what it was bought for.

Old 01-12-06, 11:55 AM
D
Sweet.... That's what the bike shop said.

My son mentioned to me that he actually used the pegs so I guess it's been a good choice so far!

I drove to work today, passed by the other bike riders house he rides with to school with and noticed the bike by the garage-and no one was outside! Ohhhhh the anger! Gonna have to give him a little talk tonight. The area seems safe enough for him to leave it out for a minute or 2, but still...you just never know who might go there and snatch it.

Old 01-12-06, 05:31 PM
D
That sounds like grounds for a week of walking to me.

Do some reading up on bike locks here: http://www.bicyclesource.com/bike/th...g-a-lock.shtml

I did work in a bike shop and raced BMX as a teen. I had one bike shop for a sponsor and one bike manufacturer sponsor, sweet deal. I can still appreciate a nice BMX or freestyle bike.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: