Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Recreational Outdoor Activities > Biking and Bicycles
Reload this Page > Bikes are less expensive today than in the 60's!

Bikes are less expensive today than in the 60's!

Old 06-30-06, 06:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Bikes are less expensive today than in the 60's!

For the same comparabley built bikes.take a 10 or 15 speed bike. They cost about $70 for a Schwinn in the early-mid 1960's! I know because I frequented bike shops back then. *I* paid $45 for my used 10 speed back then! I was the first one of all the kids in my neighborhood to get one!

I spotted, jsut the other day, out on the sidewalk of a True Value hardware store were some real fancy new 15 speed bikes. The tag said $59.95! Do you realize how much CHEAPER this is, when you figure inflation in?, compared to the bike that actually cost $70 in 1963?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-06, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Made in China.

Old 07-02-06, 04:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Back in the 60's many parts were repairable or replaceable, If bikes are like most else today I would guess the bikes along with their respective parts are disposable

Old 07-02-06, 02:00 PM
Unhappy

Ya. To both of you guys. And also I got thinking that hand held calculator prices also are things that came way down, as are those LED watches. Each of these latter two used to cost a lot. Then, over time, the prices came down on these so much that they started throwing these things in for free if you bought a magazine subscription.

When I told my friend here about the Schwinn, he said HE bought a 15 speed back then and paid over $100.

BTW...I still have my 10 speed that I bought used for $45 back in the early 60's. I feel this is like a collectors item, as surely it has to be one of the first ones made. The leather saddle seat is all cracked up and as hard as a rock, and the wheels I so used to polish are all rusty.

Old 07-02-06, 02:17 PM
Mass production and less attention to quality has made almost everything cheaper. AND worth the price. The metal nut that held the handlebars in is now plastic and usually cracks within 6 months due to the weather.

Old 07-02-06, 09:04 PM
tae
for the quality you got then, you would need to buy a bike that costs several hundred dollars. they exist. everywhere. they are not really less expensive, just cheaper.

Old 07-05-06, 05:00 PM
anyone remember gusset tubing, ya don't see that anymore. other wise ya they aren't made that much cheaper. plus americans use bikes less haven't you seen the dramatic rise in obesity and the lowering demand for bikes

Old 07-06-06, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by hotrodder89
plus americans use bikes less haven't you seen the dramatic rise in obesity and the lowering demand for bikes
I think it could be "laziness" too. I for one am lazy to use a bike when I could simply drive my car down to the store-even if it's just a block away! Sad, but true. The simple things in life don't seem to exist anymore. We want MORE and Better... Notice the GAS Razors 'n' things? Right?

Old 07-07-06, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by hotrodder89
anyone remember gusset tubing, ya don't see that anymore. other wise ya they aren't made that much cheaper. plus americans use bikes less haven't you seen the dramatic rise in obesity and the lowering demand for bikes
What is gusset tubing?

*I* rode a bike like CRAZY when I was a kid. I used to run my 105 subscriber paper route. Then right after running my route, me and my best friend would load up our golf clubs over our shoulders and peddle 5 miles out to the the golf course. We did that ALl the time. Also went on up to 20-mile one-way (40 mile round trip) 'bike hikes', as we called them, and packed lunches and ate at scenic areas like in cemetaries or under a bridge.

Old 07-07-06, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
... Notice the GAS Razors 'n' things? Right?
What's that?

Old 07-07-06, 03:34 PM
Scooters...the ones kids have now.. Never heard of "Razors"? I'll post a pic next week if you still don't know but you can google "razor scotters" and you'll see them.

Old 07-07-06, 04:00 PM
Rascal scooters.

Old 07-07-06, 04:52 PM
Hmm...uh, I don't think those are for kids. I had to google that b/c I didn't know what that was! They look like they're for the "more wiser" (elderly) folks. LOL

Old 07-07-06, 05:23 PM
They both start with an R you see. Rascal has one more letter though. I'll have to look up your provided website.

Old 07-08-06, 06:26 PM
Cool There are still good ones out there...

I just recently bought a Gary Fisher Hybrid-- and it wasn't $69.99.
It was about $300.

(www.xxxxxxxxx.com)

BUT--it was well made, and just what I wanted. I don't think It'll be falling apart in the next 6 months.

I guess my point is this: You get what you pay for.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 07-10-06 at 09:27 AM. Reason: web site posted and deleted
Old 01-13-07, 11:15 PM
Boy, all the prices listed for bikes on here sure aren't considering 'serious' bikes that are ridden by 'serious' bikers. None of whom would be caught riding a walmart or equivalent bike for $75 bucks.

Instead a road bike that is considered good enough for competing in triathlons or riding in 100 mile centuries starts around $1200. And quickly go up to $2500 for very good, and $5000 for high end titanium frames.

Good front suspension mountain bikes start about $500, and good full-suspension bikes start around $1200.

By the way, many of the bikes made at these prices are made in the far east.

Old 02-24-07, 03:24 PM
I have a $1500 bike and money still has to go into it for maintanence and some parts.
$69 is an attractive price for even an avid rider.
I still get a kick when I hop on my old Sport Chek bike and 'give it ' thru rocks and what ever and it just keeps ticking.
For that kind of money I could smash them up and throw them away and no big deal.
With my good bike I allways think of my frame when I wipe out. Aluminum is not good at taking impacts.
Yep. Mass marketing has dropped the prices quite a bit.

Old 02-24-07, 05:18 PM
Overall, the bikes out there for $60 now kicks the butts of the bikes that cost $60 in the 1960's. The growth in technology has made any comparison an exercise in silliness. But one thing is still true as someone pointed out earlier. You get what you pay for. A $60 dollar anything now days is pretty much viewed as disposable. In the 1960's it wasn't.

Personally, I love the cheap mass merchant rides. A lion's share of my repair dollars per year are from repairing them.

Search this Thread