rust inside rim

Old 08-08-06, 08:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
rust inside rim

Can rust inside a bike rim cause a innertube thats 300 times thicker than a standard one + is self sealing(meaning it has slime already inside it) to go flat.My 26 X 1.95 rim has some rust all along the wall of the rim on the inside.Can this be the problem.The tire shows no sign of glass or anything.The inner tube seems fine but went flat as I rode about 3 miles from home the tire was fine when I left.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-06, 09:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bike rims generally have a rubber piece that goes around the inside of the rim to protect the tube. Any rust can act like an abrasive to rub a hole in the tube. Easy fix - just sand it smooth and slap some paint on it.

Old 08-08-06, 05:22 PM
The rubber gasket only covers the spoke screws.It does not cover the side.I have a wire bush atachment for my drill so I will use that.

Old 08-09-06, 12:31 PM
You said the tire went flat, but didn't say if the side of the tube was abraded. With the tire mounted and inflated, there shouldn't be much movement between the rim and the tube. Most of the area where the tube could contact the rim is covered either by the sidewall and bead of the tire, or the rubber strip covering the ends of the spokes (which should be clipped off and filed flush to keep them from poking holes in the tube).

It might be something as simple as the core of the valve stem being loose. Inflate the tire and wipe it with soapy water - see where the bubbles form.

Old 08-09-06, 05:09 PM
Thats a good idea. The went flat with out warning. No hiss no slime nothing.The outside of the inner tube(the side that tuches the roof of the tire and slim on it but did not go through the tire.Theres nothing in the tire.Werd.i set the bike down on the ground near the train tracks to watch the train then took off. As I rode I noted that the bike was getting harder to pedal.I look behind me the tire is almost flat.By the time I get off inspect it get back on its flat.I did not have 50 cents on me for the 2 gas stations that were right next to each other both charge 50 cents ( some are free) to see if it would hold air.So I had to walk 3 miles + 1 block to get back home.

Old 08-09-06, 06:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
r.So I had to walk 3 miles + 1 block to get back home.

Been there done that, well almost. Back before I was old enough to drive [and all gas staions had free air] I had the chain and rear tire come loose. I asked at the first staion to borrow a wrench to fix it and was told if I was old enough to ride a bike I was old enough to carry my own tools. Fortunetly a staion a few blocks down the road was friendlier.

When I got my first car guess where I never bought gas

Search this Thread