Nasty Chain Issue

Old 05-25-07, 09:55 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Nasty Chain Issue

I have a nasty chain problem, I got my bike a year ago and the moment I rode it i noticed that it was a bad investment, A lot of problems have popped up but the main one is my chain keeps popping off the crank in front by the derailer but only when I ride, I can flip it over and it works just fine i really can`t afford another one so i've tried to make it work but it keeps on screwing up help !!

Old 05-28-07, 05:44 PM
L
bike out of alignment

there is a major alignment issue here, thats why when you pedal (exert pressure) the chain jumps off the sprocket. It is possible this is an adjustment to the derailleur, and is is possible the frame is misaligned. Either way on a new bike this should be addressed by the bike shop.

besides being aggravatng - this is unsafe. Get it fixed.

godspeed, Len

Old 06-08-07, 09:59 PM
M
Did you buy it from a BIG box store or a bike shop ?
Because any shop worth it's salt sets up every bike that leaves the shop and BIG box stores merely pop on the wheels, handle bars and seat but never do gear or brake adjustments.
It sounds like the front derailuer is out of adjustment.
1st make sure the front derailuer is parallel to the front sprockets if it is not you should be able to align it by hand without loosening any screws by grabbing the front derailuer with both hands and twist it into position( parallel to sprockets)then do the following adjustment.
Put the front derailuer in the highest gear (largest)and the rear derailuer in the highest gear (smallest) then max out the fr derailuer by the fr derailr selector and get a phillips screw driver and turn the outer limit screw ( on the front derailuer) clockwise until the front derailuer moves inward toward the chain with about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch clearance.

Then put fr derailr in the lowest gear ( smallest ) and the rr derailr in the lowest gear (largest) then put the fr derailr selector so there is no tension pulling on the cable and use your phillips screw driver to turn the inner limit screw(on fr derlr) clockwise until the fr derlr moves outward toward the sprockets about 1/8 to 3/16 away front chain.

This is the standard front derailuer adjustment.
BTW, I made my living in the bike business for 15 years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: