Basic tools for bike repair/refurbish

Old 04-16-08, 01:35 PM
Basic tools for bike repair/refurbish

I have a mountain bike with a good frame, tires and handlebars. The derailur and crank are a bit rusty . I want to replace them but I don't want to invest in specialized bike tools.

Can this be done with basic wrenches, screwdrivers, etc?

If i have to buy tools I'll just get a new bike.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-08, 04:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can't you just clean them up [in place] and oil them? for me that'd be the easiest fix.

Old 04-16-08, 09:55 PM
Upon closer inspection most of the rust is on nuts and bolts that can be easily replaced (hadn't looked closely in a while),

I tooka small art brush and brushed on some rust remover on the other areas with a lot of rust and let it sit for about 30 minutes, then hit it with my dremel tool polishing kit. It took off a good amount of the rust. I need buy the dremel attachment that is a bit more aggressive, but so far it's looking pretty good.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 05-05-08, 09:18 PM
you should be able to do most stuff with screwdrivers and allen wrenches. An adjustable doesn't hurt either. If you need tools think of it this way: you'll spend less money on tools and they will last longer than the bike. If you get a new bike you'll probably need to do maintenance on it some time anyway.

Search this Thread