need new back wheel

Old 08-05-08, 12:41 PM
need new back wheel

I have a Brittany free spirit speed bike road bike. it takes those yellow wall road tires with the smooth tread. The back wheel is shot and i need to replace it. anyone know if i can get it online. i googled but no online place has this bike. i also need a new tire for it. does the new rim come with that rubber belt to protect the inner tube from the spoke screws.this bike uses inner tubes. its a 26 inch but nothing else is visible on the tires. again its a Brittany free spirit 26" x 1 something looks like it could be 2/3 but its wore out.its a 10 speed. 5 back gears 2 front gears.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-08, 09:03 PM
I remember that style of tire. It's called a gum wall. A few minutes of search time turned up: Brittany was made by Sears (they may have record of the serial number). The most probable tire fit is 26 x 1 3/8 EA3 gum wall (available online). If you know the tire size a new rim is easily found. No, the “rubber band” is sold separately.

Old 08-06-08, 02:44 PM
Ok i can get the tires the rim rubber and tubes from amazon.com but i can't find the rim they all seam to come without the back gears meaning i will have to transfer the gears myself. is it possible to get a rim that has the gears installed.also what is the width of the rim. i know i need one thats 26 by 1 and 3/8 tall

Old 08-06-08, 09:57 PM
Rim for 26 x 1 3/8 EA3: 590 mm / 26 x 1 3/8 E.A.3 / 650A (count the number of spokes 40 is my guess). If true try: Sun CR 18 40 hole

Other than custom built, or previously owned, I doubt that you'll find a readily installable wheel (30 year old bike), although somone may sell them. From what I was able to determine you can buy an entire used Sears Free Spirit Brittany 10 speed for the cost of a new rim alone. I found one recently posted on craigslist in Indianapolis, Indiana for $ 30.00. It was is good shape and had new tubes in the tires. Even if you had the owner throw the rest of the bike away, and shipped the rear wheel cross country it would cost about the same, or less, than a new rim & tire.

Old 08-07-08, 02:17 PM
i'll just have the shop do it

Search this Thread